Author Topic: Found this pup:win32:installcore-ak [pup]  (Read 10062 times)

the_airwarrior

Found this pup:win32:installcore-ak [pup]
« on: July 06, 2012, 05:08:19 AM »
After cleaning my machine last night, I checked the kids computer and found this on a boot scan pup:win32:installcore-ak [pup] it says it is low threat but should I run otl and awmbr anyway? would it hurt?

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Re: Found this pup:win32:installcore-ak [pup]
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2012, 07:36:42 AM »
PUP is not virus....thats why pup scan is default off in the default quick/full scan
PUP = Possible Unwanted Program

so what file was detected.....and where was it located ?

Offline mchain

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • Spartan Warrior
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2012, 07:56:40 AM »
Hi the_airwarrior,

If avast! is run only on the default settings [PUP scan is not checked on or ticked] and if on this default setting, it produces this malware detection result, then it might be safe to say you might have an infection.

Running avast! scans on other than the default settings can result in detections and reports some users do not understand, and these settings can confuse even an experienced user.  PUP is one of these detections.  'Archive is corrupt', is another example.  Even having avast! scan the system memory at an elevated level can cause avast! to detect, for example, anti-malware signatures in Malwarebytes as malicious; but they are not, as these signatures must run in system memory for Malwarebytes to properly protect your system.

Reset your system scans back to the default settings; no PUP, no scan memory, etc., and report back if you continue to receive this alert on a default scan setting.  We can look then to see what the next step should be.
Windows 10 Home 64-bit 22H2 Microsoft Windows Defender - Windows 11 Home 23H2 - Windows 11 Pro 23H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI version 1.0.803

the_airwarrior

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2012, 11:21:15 PM »
I thought the virus name was win:32:installcore-ak, but it was a hello kitty thing my daughter downloaded. It put it in the chest, I was just wondering if I should run otl and awmbr.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2012, 01:12:33 AM »
if you open the chest, then you can see the name of the file detected.....not the malware name avast gave
or attach a screenshot ofthe chest so we can see