Author Topic: One more voice in a big chorus - don't want google chrome pushed daily at me  (Read 4405 times)

avast0705

I have avast 7.0.1451 and ever since I updated to it, each morning when I log in (I restart my computer each night, then log in come morning), I get a message along the lines of "It's time to finish your update" and there are some checkboxes to install google chrome.

I don't have heartburn about avast being one of thousands of legit free software products that try to install some other software unless you opt out.  But what bothers me is that I keep getting the message each morning.

My avast is working; it scans on schedule each night and updates the virus definitions.  But on principle, I'm bothered about the daily nag to "finish" when it's just trying to install software.  I've not figured out how to permanently turn this "nag" off.

Where/how do I do it?

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
do you uncheck and click finish.......and still it is back at every startup?

avast0705

Correct.  Simple user interface, with few options.  Click in one spot to finish, and the only other option is check/uncheck the Chrome choices.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
it should not be like that, so i think something is wrong with your install

you could try remove it with this and reboot.   http://www.avast.com/uninstall-utility
then install again

avast0705

I will see what the next couple days do.  I've been using Avast for years, seamlessly updating to new versions, and although it's not a big deal to just start fresh, it's even less of a big deal to assume this update "worked" as well as all the priors had.

Fantango

I joined this forum to complain about the same thing. Each time I turn on my computer there is a box which says something like "click finish to complete installation". There are also the boxes to check/uncheck regarding installing Chrome or if I want Chrome to be my default browser. For at least three days I have unchecked the boxes regarding Chrome and clicked Finish. Next time I turn my computer on I have the same box with the same choices. I have continued to tolerate this for the short term. However, I just installed a computer for a friend and installed MS Security Essentials instead of Avast because I didn't want my friend to be annoyed by this behaviour. Furthermore, I will no longer recommend Avast to my friends and co-workers (as I have for the last four years) because of this intrusive and annoying behaviour. Please correct this or I will switch to another anti-virus program. Incidentally, I have a license for McAfee, but chose to use Avast because it uses less resources than McAfee, but I may go back and try McAfee again as well. I am not happy right now.

tbint

I  use chrome so don't get mad. But an easy way out may be to go ahead and leave the check mark and click finish. I believe that when 7 final was released there was a bug. This is my post: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=94175.msg749777#msg749777

I know leaving the check mark means chrome will in install. Sounds like to me it was installed already and needs to finish. Easy to remove once the install is complete. Does feel like product slamming to me. I had the latest version of chrome installed and it just re-installed it. Like a fresh install all my settings bookmarks where gone. Made me mad a little. Plus the download file size is larger then it needs to be with chrome packed with it.

But letting it run the course should be a quick fix.

avast0705

I can't figure out how to add an image to my post, other than upload the image to the web, but I got the Chrome prompt this morning again, and as I'd thought, it's really simple.  Only choices are install chrome (y/n), if so, make it default (y/n), and click "Finish."

Each morning this week, I've unchecked the install box and clicked finish, and the popup is there the next morning.

Lots of people appear to be similarly plagued:

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=94239.0 appears to have a fix which I will try today.

Meanwhile, http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=100770.0 asks some questions I'll answer here:

1. What avast! edition are you using (ie Free, Pro or AIS)?
Free, 7.0.1451

2. When did this happen (during update or new installation)?
Since I updated from prior version earlier this week

3. What Windows version are you using (ie Win7 SP1 64bit)?
Win7 Professional, 64-bit

4. Which was your default web browser at the time this happened?
FF 13.0.1

5. Have you ever installed Google Chrome yourself in the past (and then removed it)?
Never

6. How did this happen (dialog quickly disappeared, missing checkboxes etc)?
As described here, it appears after every restart and login

7. When did this happen (right after update, after update reboot, both)?
As described here, it appears after every restart and login

8. If you think any other info might be relevant or helpful, please post it.
I've done that in this thread, as have other users with this problem.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
So, is everyone having this problem actually using build 7.0.1451? If so, I suggest to update to 7.0.1456 (which is strongly recommended anyway, it fixes quite a few bugs).

avast0705

So, is everyone having this problem actually using build 7.0.1451? If so, I suggest to update to 7.0.1456 (which is strongly recommended anyway, it fixes quite a few bugs).

Very interesting.  I upgraded to 1456 and restarted my computer.  Got the "Chrome/Finish" popup upon logging in.  Unchecked Chrome install and finished.  Restarted my computer again, and no more popup!

I am not sure if the popup uses some cookie-like arrangement to track restarts.  Maybe I got no popup because it was my third restart in about fifteen minutes.  But maybe I got no popup because 1456 rectifies a problem that had been part of 1451.

Thanks Igor.  I think the update to 1456 has fixed the problem.