Author Topic: Invalid virus definitions error  (Read 14140 times)

Gibraltar

Invalid virus definitions error
« on: July 08, 2012, 03:43:08 PM »
Hi,

Since a couple of days ago, Avast errors out everytime I download or update ANY app on my phone. I have to click Ignore. I tried updating virus definitions but Avast displays an error stating that the virus definitions downloaded are invalid and to try again.
Don't know what else to try. Any ideas?

Thank you.

Offline Filip Havlicek

• Massive Poster
Re: Invalid virus definitions error
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2012, 12:46:06 PM »
Hi,

are you sure you are using an official AMS version from Google Play or other authorized market? I have just tried and it works flawlessly for me. It might also be that your Internet connection got broken somehow, but if you tried it multiple times (possibly on different connections/at different locations), it seems very unlikely.

Filip

Gibraltar

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2012, 01:27:10 PM »
hi,

AMS downloaded from Google Play. Have been trying your suggestion - force update on several networks (wifi, 3G) and still the same error in all.

If I try clearing the app cache (on the App config of Android), could this have any other effect on the application? (installed as root).

Thanks.

Offline Filip Havlicek

• Massive Poster
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2012, 01:30:17 PM »
Hi,

well, you will lose all your AMS settings by doing that :( And I'm not sure it will fix the problem.

Filip

Gibraltar

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2012, 01:12:30 AM »
Hi,

I've spent the rest of the day trying to force update but always getting the same error.
If yout say that this error is not happening with other people then it's clearlly a problem with my phone, just wish there was a solution for my case.

Thanks

Offline Filip Havlicek

• Massive Poster
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2012, 07:16:53 AM »
Hi,

hmm. If you already deleted the app's data and it didn't help, you can always try uninstalling the app and installing it again (won't hurt, you already lost your settings) and if that doesn't work, I'm starting to get clueless :(

Filip

Gibraltar

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2012, 06:51:26 PM »
Hi,

I still haven't tried clearing AMS settings. If I have time I'll try it tonight. If it does not work I'll have to uninstall and reinstall all...
Will update status tomorrow.

In the mean time, any sort of log or aditional info I can get to make available here for troubleshooting purposes?

Thanks.

Offline Filip Havlicek

• Massive Poster
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2012, 07:00:40 PM »
Hi,

not at the moment, sorry :( App crashing is different scenario, but in your case I'm afraid there are no logs to help us :( But thanks for your interest! Hope it gets solved.

Filip

Gibraltar

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2012, 10:34:03 AM »
Hi,

Yesterday night I tried again to update and still had the same error (invalid virus definitions please try downloading again) over and over again.
Cleared app cache and reconfigured AMS and voilá, all is working again; and best of all Anti Theaft definitions were not affected (root install). Maybe some file got currupted for whatever reason. Tried installing a new app from Google Play and no more errors from AMS also.

Seems to be working now.

thanks.

Offline Filip Havlicek

• Massive Poster
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2012, 11:02:16 AM »
Hi,

glad it's working now. Too bad I still don't have a clue where the problem could be :( But that's not your fault of course :)

Filip

kapre

« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2012, 01:02:43 PM »
hi

i've been having the same problem for a couple of days now.
unfortunately, neither clearing the cahce/data nor re-installing the app did solve it.
any further ideas what could be wrong?

best
tim

Offline Filip Havlicek

• Massive Poster
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2012, 06:29:25 PM »
Hi,

if nothing you mentioned works, you could consider trying our new beta of AMS 2.0 - http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=101642.0 .

Filip

kapre

« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2012, 03:03:10 PM »
tried that too now.
the scanner now always says 'invalid context during scan' and the update still fails with the same message as before.

Offline Filip Havlicek

• Massive Poster
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2012, 03:34:28 PM »
Hmm, that's really interesting. What device and OS version do you have?

Filip

kapre

« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2012, 03:45:24 PM »
i'm running jelly bean (4.1.1) on a galaxy nexus