Author Topic: Need help with infection  (Read 17719 times)

Nikilet

Re: Need help with infection
« Reply #30 on: July 26, 2012, 07:39:46 PM »
I have had no response to this post and I am concerned. I would sure appreciate if someone would reply. I'm beginning to wonder if some of the latest updates for avast have resulted in problems. I've noticed that if I shut down my computer and reboot it takes avast forever to load. Right now I'm concerned about what would appear to be another rootkit on my system -- either than or avast is reporting false positives.

I just checked to make sure avast was updated. Please look at this screen where it starts out ... Last encountered error. What does this mean?
« Last Edit: July 26, 2012, 07:43:00 PM by Nikilet »

Offline mchain

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • Spartan Warrior
« Reply #31 on: July 26, 2012, 08:00:49 PM »
Hi Nikilet,

Last encountered error usually happens when a manual update is called for when the automatic update is already running in the background.

As for the post just prior, Avast! runs a rootkit scan 8 minutes in after the system is first started as cold boot.  Read this thread here and see if this helps:  http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=96873.0

If you need additional help, please ask.
Windows 10 Home 64-bit 22H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.1.6099 (build 24.1.88821.762)  UI version 1.0.797
 UI version 1.0.788.  Windows 11 Home 23H2 - Windows 11 Pro 23H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.2.6105 (build 24.1.8918.827) UI version 1.0.801

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #32 on: July 26, 2012, 08:04:53 PM »
That rootkit alert is flagging the Malwarebytes service for some reason

It is not a problem with regards to infection.. But it is as an annoyance..

I will install MBAM on my system to see if I can get that alert, if so I will forward it to Avast as a FP

Nikilet

« Reply #33 on: July 26, 2012, 08:11:53 PM »
Thank both of you for the responses. MBAM and avast have run so good together. I hope they are not going to start have conflicts with each other.

mchain: Yes, I would say that these notices of rootkit infection happened approximately 8 minutes after booting.

Now, can either of you tell me WHY avast has become so slow booting? Or should I go to another forum topic for this?

I did a Google search and found another person with the EXACT same problem as I am having with avast and the slow boot situation. To use his words: The screen appears quickly and is populated rapidly with my tray and quick launch icons but, but, but. . . The orange ball for Avast seems to take forever as it spins, stops, spins, slows down, freezes, then resumes. During that time, none of the on-screen icons are accessible.

He goes on to say: I really don't want to quit Avast and go somewhere else, but I note that my experience of boot time delay isn't unique: in recent months, quite a number of Avast users have posted on the Avast forum and elsewhere on the 'Net saying that Avast is seriously degrading boot-time performance. So far though, there seems no acknowledgment of any problem by Avast, and no fixes.

This post was made July 12 so is pretty recent. Do you know if there has been any solution to this problem?
« Last Edit: July 26, 2012, 08:49:38 PM by Nikilet »

Offline mchain

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • Spartan Warrior
« Reply #34 on: July 26, 2012, 08:35:40 PM »
Nikilet,

essexboy has picked up your thread once more, so I would wait to see what his answer is.  Normally, when the help/assistance reaches the point where the tools used are removed, the malware expert will drop the thread, but, here, in this case, that is not what happened.  You should have an answer very soon.  No post is needed elsewhere.
Windows 10 Home 64-bit 22H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.1.6099 (build 24.1.88821.762)  UI version 1.0.797
 UI version 1.0.788.  Windows 11 Home 23H2 - Windows 11 Pro 23H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.2.6105 (build 24.1.8918.827) UI version 1.0.801

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #35 on: July 26, 2012, 09:00:04 PM »
Could you open Avast go to shields > File system shields > Advanced settings

And confirm that you have the same settings as me

Nikilet

« Reply #36 on: July 26, 2012, 09:09:32 PM »
Yes, I do.

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #37 on: July 26, 2012, 09:14:30 PM »
OK back away for a quick think...  This continuous scanning appears after the desktop loads is that correct ?

Nikilet

« Reply #38 on: July 26, 2012, 09:38:59 PM »
Sorry. I'm not sure what you mean when you say "this continuous scanning." My system works the exact same way as the poster I found. I takes forever for the avast icon to even come up, and then it will freeze, spin, stop, slow down and freeze again and while all this is happening none of the on-screen icons are accessible, just as the poster wrote. I think he mentioned that his computer takes 4 minutes to boot, but I'm sure mine has been taking a lot longer. And it was gradual. I noticed that it was getting slower ... and then slower still ... and still slower. Lately it's been almost like it isn't going to complete the process at all.

I did install Soluto and then restarted, but apparently the avast firewall is blocking Soluto. How can I rectify that?

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #39 on: July 26, 2012, 10:00:19 PM »
Set Avast to start after windows services

Nikilet

« Reply #40 on: July 26, 2012, 10:14:02 PM »
I have no idea how to do this -- set avast to start after Windows services.

If I do this, will that affect security since I am immediately online with DSL?

How can I keep avast firewall from blocking Soluto? See screenshot.

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #41 on: July 27, 2012, 12:01:47 AM »
To set Avast to start after windows  go to settings > troubleshooting.  I use this setting and I am on instant on DSL

For soluto remove the elements from the firewall and let it re-request access

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #42 on: July 27, 2012, 12:02:07 AM »
Firewall

Nikilet

« Reply #43 on: July 27, 2012, 12:35:09 AM »
I changed the setting for avast to start after Win services, but once again  :-[ I don't know how to remove soluto elements from the firewall. The only item under which I could find anything was Application Rules and there is nothing like soluto in the list. This program with all of it's tabs and then the many areas under each division -- well, it's like so much Greek to me.

I installed a FireFox update which required a restart. So I did that and changing the setting for avast to start after Windows services didn't seem to make a difference. Once again, everything else popped right up and then I waited, and waited for the avast icon to come up. When it finally did it sat there in the taskbar frozen for a long time and everything else was unaccessible. I know it was 7-8 minutes before my computer was actually ready to use. By the way, the poster I quoted said he un- and reinstalled avast several times to no avail.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2012, 01:45:46 AM by Nikilet »

Nikilet

« Reply #44 on: July 27, 2012, 05:20:04 AM »
Forget any issues with Soluto. I uninstalled it.

I just wish we could figure out why avast is delaying the boot process so drastically, and have it stop telling me I've got a rootkit.

I have this sinking feeling that avast is no longer acting friendly with my system. As I mentioned below, I changed the setting per your instructions but it did not make a difference at all.