Author Topic: How to upload FP when Avast cannot move it to the chest?  (Read 3754 times)

Offline Yinepuhotep

How to upload FP when Avast cannot move it to the chest?
« on: July 10, 2012, 03:24:25 AM »
I have a file that Avast has detected as a FP ever since I installed it from the vendor, but says it cannot move to the chest because the file is password-protected. Is there a way to upload this file without it being in the chest? The file in question is a part of the Gamestop Impulse package.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: How to upload FP when Avast cannot move it to the chest?
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2012, 03:39:38 AM »
Can you send the samples to ?
You can zip and password the files... Inform a link to this thread and the password used.
Thanks.
The best things in life are free.

Offline Yinepuhotep

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2012, 08:29:40 PM »
Uploaded last night, used the password "virus" as recommended in the thread on uploading samples.

Weird thing is, the screensaver scan registers it as a virus, but the manual scan doesn't. Ran it through totalvirus.com and got negatives on every scanner there, too. So whatever it is, it's probably just the heuristics on the screensaver set too high. Does that sound about right?

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2012, 09:00:03 PM »
what malware name does avast give it?

psw

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2012, 09:09:28 PM »
I have a file that Avast has detected as a FP ever since I installed it from the vendor, but says it cannot move to the chest because the file is password-protected. Is there a way to upload this file without it being in the chest? The file in question is a part of the Gamestop Impulse package.
But you can copy any file to the chest by opening the chest and using the command "Add..." When file is in the chest you can use "Sybmit to lab..." command.

Offline Yinepuhotep

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2012, 11:15:22 PM »
But you can copy any file to the chest by opening the chest and using the command "Add..." When file is in the chest you can use "Sybmit to lab..." command.
I keep seeing instructions for that, but when I go to the chest, I don't see an "Add..." command.
Here's how I get to the virus chest:
1. Select the Avast icon in the system tray.
2. Open User Interface
3. Click on Maintenance
4. Click on Virus Chest
5. See list of files in chest, but no buttons of any kind on the display screen.

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2012, 11:17:05 PM »
Does this help ?

Open Avast and go to the virus chest
Right click the blank area and select add

Navigate to File name here

Select the file

Right click the file in the chest and select submit to virus labs

Once done manually update the virus definitions to send it

Offline Yinepuhotep

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2012, 11:21:21 PM »
what malware name does avast give it?

*headdesk*

OK, I FINALLY found where Avast hides the logs, and discovered that Avast flagged the file in question because it couldn't unzip it, NOT because it supposedly had a virus.

The virus warning that I got on that scan was for a different file (an attachment to a UCE), which it listed as Win32:Trojan-Gen.

Screensaver scan can be confusing, since it flags on files that manual scan doesn't, like archives that the manual scan has no trouble opening, while the screensaver scan can't open them.

Offline Yinepuhotep

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2012, 11:23:00 PM »
Does this help ?

Open Avast and go to the virus chest
Right click the blank area and select add

Yes, that does help. Thank you. I did not know (and did not find anything in the Avast help file that would tell me) that the virus chest uses a right-click menu to do its work.