Author Topic: Avast Internet Security + Windows Firewall  (Read 15147 times)

Rimmel

Avast Internet Security + Windows Firewall
« on: July 14, 2012, 06:37:17 AM »
Hello,  :)

I am asking this question as i am not sure on what i should do with my Windows Firewall.

Question:

I have the 3 Year paid latest version of Avast Internet Security. It has its own Firewall which is enabled & functioning, but also my Windows Firewall is also enabled.

Should i disable Windows Firewall ?? And allow the Avast Firewall to do everything? i have had so many "self proclaimed in the know people" tell me by having both Avast's and Windows firewalls going i am actually reducing my protection, and the two firewalls will fight for control etc etc causing all sorts of problems and exposing my pc to threats.

Please can somebody give me a definitive answer as i do not know what to do!

Should i switch off the Windows firewall.

Thank you  :)

Nastajia

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Dch48

Re: Avast Internet Security + Windows Firewall
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2012, 08:50:43 AM »
Those people really don't know much. What they are saying is true for AV programs and maybe for other third party Firewalls but not for the Avast Firewall. There are absolutely no conflicts between it and the Windows firewall and Avast actually recommends that you leave the Windows firewall on. I have AIS installed in both Win 7 and XP and the Windows firewalls on both machines are also turned on with no problems whatsoever.

If you set the Avast firewall to auto-decide, it is very much advisable to have the Windows firewall on to better control incoming connection attempts. On auto-decide, the Avast firewall will allow just about everything and really isn't very strong in my opinion. Auto-decide is good for when you first install AIS and want rules for all your installed applications to be easily created when you open them the first time. It can be used like the learning mode of other firewalls. I would recommend, though, that after that initial period, you set it to Ask so that any connection attempts by new things or unknown things will ask for a decision if they should be allowed to connect or not. On Ask, you will get prompts for all connection attempts, both incoming and outgoing as well as prompts from the Windows firewall (if it is on) for incoming.  The Windows firewall will also take precedence over Avast's. For instance, if you allow an incoming connection in the Avast firewall but not in the Windows firewall, the connection will be blocked.

Rimmel

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2012, 10:25:29 AM »
Dch48,  :)

Thank you for your clear and concise response to my query. Especially the following as it is very helpful and i am now implementing a few changes regarding auto decide or Ask. Hopefully there is a Global setting so that i may be able to set everything to ask.

I would recommend, though, that after that initial period, you set it to Ask so that any connection attempts by new things or unknown things will ask for a decision if they should be allowed to connect or not. On Ask, you will get prompts for all connection attempts, both incoming and outgoing as well as prompts from the Windows firewall (if it is on) for incoming.  The Windows firewall will also take precedence over Avast's. For instance, if you allow an incoming connection in the Avast firewall but not in the Windows firewall, the connection will be blocked.

PS: Will now leave Windows Firewall enabled.  :)

Thank you Kindly  :)
Nastajia
« Last Edit: July 14, 2012, 10:33:26 AM by Rimmel_Gal »

Rimmel

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2012, 10:30:06 AM »
Dch48,

Where is it that i go to, to find the section that will enable me to set from auto-decide to ask?

I am looking but there a many many options and options within options in this full AIS version.

Thank you again.

SafeSurf

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2012, 10:34:13 AM »
I don't have AIS, but you should see in the AIS GUI in the upper right corner something that says "Support" or "Help".  Click on this for additional information on your product.  If you don't see it there, someone else should be along later to assist you.  Thank you.

Offline JuninhoSlo

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2012, 10:52:08 AM »
Firewall-Expert Settings-Policies and select Ask mode.

SafeSurf

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2012, 10:56:16 AM »
Thank you JuninhoSlo.  ;)

Rimmel

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2012, 11:08:50 AM »
Firewall-Expert Settings-Policies and select Ask mode.

JuninhoSlo & SafeSurf

Thank you both so much, i did it and have enabled ask mode.

This forum has excellent support so thanks a bunch  :)

SafeSurf

[RESOLVED] Avast Internet Security + Windows Firewall
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2012, 11:29:09 AM »
You're welcome.  Come back anytime to browse and learn or ask questions.

Now that your problem is fixed, please go back to your first post, put "[RESOLVED]" in front of the title to close this thread.  Thank you for allowing us to assist you.  :)