Author Topic: Running MBAM Pro & Avast Internet Security: do I need to set any exclusions?  (Read 6396 times)

LadyA

I haven't had any problems with running Malwarebytes Pro at the same time as Avast Internet Security (so far, at least, but it's only been about 20 hours).... but am I supposed to set exclusions in any certain way in order to prevent any problems in the future?

If so, do I tell Avast to exclude MBAM, or MBAM to exclude Avast?  Or both?  If yes, which files do I have them exclude?

(I'm a noob at this stuff, thank you in advance for any help.  I searched the old threads here prior to asking and only found one thread (here) about setting exclusions but it was over 20 days old and the pop-up suggested starting a new thread.)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Personally I have never set any exclusions in avast for MBAM Pro and I haven't had any issues.

I have added c:\windows\temp\_avast_ folder (where avast unpack/copies files it is about to scan) to the MBAM Ignore List.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD - 27" external monitor 1440p 2560x1440 resolution - avast! free  24.9.6130 (build 24.9.9452.762) UI 1.0.818/ Firefox, uBlock Origin Lite, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • When you think you know, Think Again
Personally I have never set any exclusions in avast for MBAM Pro and I haven't had any issues.

I have added c:\windows\temp\_avast_ folder (where avast unpack/copies files it is about to scan) to the MBAM Ignore List.

No problem here running both on XP SP3 :)

Offline Rompin Raider

Same here...no exclusions and no problems.
Win10 Pro 22H2 64 bit Avast Premium Security/uBlock Origin

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
There have been several people that experienced issues between avast and MBAM Pro but mostly there are no conflicts, an extra benefit of having the exclusions in place is purely just to make the system run lighter.

Exclusions are found here
http://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?act=findpost&pid=417798

LadyA

Thank you so much everybody!  Man, this forum is awesome!! :-D

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
You're welcome.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD - 27" external monitor 1440p 2560x1440 resolution - avast! free  24.9.6130 (build 24.9.9452.762) UI 1.0.818/ Firefox, uBlock Origin Lite, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

LadyA

Haha, I'm back!  Sounds like I probably wasn't going to have any problems, but I went ahead and did the exclusions.  In Avast, under the File System Shield exclusions, is all this stuff supposed to be there? (I just downloaded avast to my new computer, so they're there by default I assume.)  Probably a stupid question....

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • When you think you know, Think Again
Haha, I'm back!  Sounds like I probably wasn't going to have any problems, but I went ahead and did the exclusions.  In Avast, under the File System Shield exclusions, is all this stuff supposed to be there? (I just downloaded avast to my new computer, so they're there by default I assume.)  Probably a stupid question....

No such thing as a Stupid Question. ;)
All looks fine to me. :) 8)

LadyA

Okay, thank you for taking a look!

Though it was weird to see a type of Firefox file excluded since I don't have that browser installed on my new computer yet.  Maybe avast just puts that there by default because a lot of people use Firefox?