Author Topic: SIM Change Notification  (Read 4088 times)

royalves

SIM Change Notification
« on: July 17, 2012, 06:56:10 AM »
So I've just changed from MyLookout to Avast, so far I really enjoy the extra features such as firewall, apps management and everything. What is bugging me however is the fact that I'm unsure of how safe I really am. The reason I say this is because after installing and setting up Anti-Theft mode and running the simulations successfully, I inserted a friend's SIM card on my phone as a test but I never got the message on either friend one or friend two I'd previously set up. Some info should be taken into account:

- I only used my friend's SIM card for a minute or so (it wasn't neither of the set up numbers);
- Upon accessing the Anti-Theft panel the new SIM was automatically registered (which tells me that the SIM was recognized as unauthorized) so I popped my own SIM back and wiped my White list clean;
- When using my own SIM, the SMS commands worked successfully so I know it can send texts stealthily;
- I use an Xperia Arc with ICS.

So my question is, how long after a new SIM is inserted does this notification really take place? Because my phone was on with an unauthorized SIM card briefly and I never got one.

Off-topic notes:
- Sorry if this sounds like a double posting, I really scouted the forum for an answer but got nothing to my satisfaction;
- The web interface should really be hurried;
- The link you receive with the location should use a link-shortening service like bit.ly.

EDIT - The message arrived an hour later, but since it arrived with an hour delay I could not check until my father was back home for it was his number. This matter can be considered closed.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2012, 11:12:05 PM by royalves »

Offline tcntad

• Avast Überevangelist
Re: SIM Change Notification
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2012, 08:03:33 PM »
It depends on your settings.. If you just change simcard and havent ticked the options to lock it etc it should still send the new info..

reinhardholzner

Re: SIM Change Notification
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2012, 01:09:45 PM »
see beta thread for web interface. usually notification takes a few minutes as the GPS coordinates need to be queried first.