Author Topic: ** INTRODUCING: avast! Mobile Security 2 Beta ** [NOW UPDATED TO 2.0.2709]  (Read 116663 times)

Offline Filip Havlicek

• Massive Poster
Hi,

you won't. You will have to install Mobile Security through which you can install Anti-Theft using the installation wizard (having a custom name etc). Then you can uninstall AMS.

Filip

REDACTED

Hi,
please, what is or does "PIN recovery" ?

Greetings U.P.

Offline Filip Havlicek

• Massive Poster
Hi,

in case you forgot your PIN or the app just doesn't accept it, you can request a recovery PIN to be sent to a number you specified earlier in app settings. Such PIN will work for approximately 30 minutes so you can access the app and change the actual PIN.

Filip

joelboosman

Hi Guys,

Just updated the whole app and tried stuff out! Seems amazing! The webinterface is great and it works really smooth! Great job guys!!!! ANd this all for free! No app before had all these functions combined ánd offered it for free!!!

Anyway, enough praise, let's get back to business.

The Anti-Theft function works just fine....only if the phone is online! If it is, for instance, in flightmode, all the connections alre cut and the phone is unreachable by Avast (not by SMS command nor the webinterface). So this would make the Anti-Theft function quite useless so to say...

Is the above right or are there other possibilities to still remote control/secure your phone?
If not, the "thief" will be able to completely remove and disable the security without you being able to intervene.... :S
Personally, the first things I would find/stole a phone is to set the phone in flightmode, connect it to A/C power, remove battery, remove SIM, replace battery.
Next, I would be possible to do whatever I want!

Any comments to these possible security risks are welcome. would like to hear the opinion of the professionals ;)

Offline Filip Havlicek

• Massive Poster
Hi,

well, sure, if the thief forever disconnects the device "from the world" forever then there is nothing you (or we) can do. If he inserts a new SIM then SMS is sent to your friend number and if he connects it to the Internet you can reach it via the web portal.

Filip

kach

Congratulation Avast Team for this great update. I have been using AMS after trying several other antivirus and anti theft APKs. One thing I solely missed in AMS is the ability to track the phone through Web browser. It's great that you have finally listened to the users opinions and included this great feature.
Now I have a question: How do I use the web browser to locate my mobile remotely? I am sorry that I couldn't be able to figure it out like i did very easitly in Lookout anti theft app.

Offline Filip Havlicek

• Massive Poster
Hi,

if you register via one of the apps, you will get an email with all the info you need. If you updated your old installation, you will find the registration in Settings - avast! Account section.

Filip

michanmichan

I have an ASUS Transformer tf700t, running the stock ICS 4.0.3.  When using the latest Google Chrome, when Shield Control -> Web Shield is turned on, Whenever I try to enter a URL then hit GO, or even after specifying a website with a bookmark, Chrome instantly quits/crashes.

I am running Application version : 2.0.2750.

Any fixes for this?

Update: I cleared all the user-related application data for Chrome, it works fine now without crashing.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2012, 03:36:01 PM by michanmichan »

Offline Filip Havlicek

• Massive Poster
Hi,

yeah, if Chrome was crashing then it's most probably Chrome's fault, not ours (if there would be something wrong with the Web Shield, it would most probably be avast! crashing).

Filip

jeetz

Hi,

Is there a possibility to add a feature that could stop the theif from turning off the device?

Something like;

Anti Theft Settings Menu------> Phone OFF Enable/Disable (Enable will not allow the phone to be powered off, where as disable would allow it to be powered off)

Regards,

Offline Filip Havlicek

• Massive Poster
Hi,

they can still remove the battery to turn off the device.

Filip

jeetz

Thanks for the rep Filip.

I have Xperia-S, pulling out battery is not an option

Regards,
Jeet

Offline Filip Havlicek

• Massive Poster

jeetz

The battery is concealed and tighten with screws. One would have to go through the hassle of opening the back cover screws then etc etc, to remove the battery.

Regards,
Jeet.

Offline Filip Havlicek

• Massive Poster
But the thief can still do it if he wants to, right?

Filip