Author Topic: Error! - Device already registered  (Read 22522 times)

stockman80

Error! - Device already registered
« on: July 21, 2012, 01:58:06 AM »
When I registered a new account using the , I accidently mistyped my e-mail address. Now when I go to re-register with my correct e-mail address I get the following error: "This device is already registered with a different account. If this is on purpose, please go online and delete your device from the old account, then try again."  Obviously it isn't on purpose, but I cannot find a way to delete my device from the other account. Any suggestions? Thanks!

avast mobile security version: 2.0.2560
Samsung Galaxy Nexus 4.04 rooted.

Offline ZombieZoom

• avast! Super Sayajin since 2008
Re: Error! - Device already registered
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2012, 03:40:45 AM »
Obviously it's on purpose! because "If this on purpose" here refers to you trying to register a new account with this device!
Anyway, to delete the device from the unwanted account: Go to https://my.avast.com
Log in using the mistyped e-mail address and password then click on "Devices". Now click on "View Details" then click on "Delete From Account".
AND you're done, you can now register with your correct e-mail address :)

stockman80

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2012, 07:40:47 AM »
That would work perfectly...Except, in order to log in to delete the device, you have to 'verify' the e-mail address by clicking on a link that's been delivered to your inbox. Since I don't have access to the incorrect e-mail address to verify the account, I cannot delete the device. When I log in using the incorrect e-mail address on the web app, it will only display the "unverified account" message. So, I'm still at a loss as to what to do. It seems like there should be a place on the device where I could dis-associate the device with an account.

Offline ZombieZoom

• avast! Super Sayajin since 2008
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2012, 09:04:27 AM »
That would work perfectly...Except, in order to log in to delete the device, you have to 'verify' the e-mail address by clicking on a link that's been delivered to your inbox. Since I don't have access to the incorrect e-mail address to verify the account, I cannot delete the device. When I log in using the incorrect e-mail address on the web app, it will only display the "unverified account" message. So, I'm still at a loss as to what to do. It seems like there should be a place on the device where I could dis-associate the device with an account.

Well, one solution left I think: uninstalling/reinstalling AMS :D

svehlak

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2012, 02:18:02 PM »
This is some kind of bug and is touching the security (and no, reinstalling AMS / AT will not help); imagine you have your device paired to your account and are able to send some commands to it. A thief could steal your device and somehow overcome the PIN - he or she willtry to connect it to his/her own account (to be able stalking you f.e.). The client will refuse the connection - you have to go to the portal and delete it there, until this step you can not pair device to another account. But definitely yes, we need to fix it, in case you are misstyped you should be able to send the confirmation e-mail on other address or the device will be unpaired after some time if confirmation will not reach the existing e-mail. Only thing you can do now is kidnapp the misstyped email and pick up the confirmation email from there. Sorry for that.

stockman80

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2012, 08:00:36 PM »
So I was able to get access to the 'wrong' e-mail account, verified the account, saw my device listed there, and then deleted the device. All that seemed to work perfectly. (Thanks for the suggestion Jan). However, when I now go to register my device again (on my device), it gives me the same error message, that the device is already registered with a different account. So it appears as though the delete functionality on the web app isn't working properly. I suppose it's not a big deal to just use the 'wrong' e-mail address, but it would be nice to have the functionality working correctly.

svehlak

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2012, 04:42:45 PM »
The unpairing process may take some time, may he relogging in the account could help too. I guess the transfer via GCM is not so quick as Google said. But in case you successfully deleted (via portal) the device, you should be able to pair it again with another account. If not, please let us know.

stockman80

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2012, 07:26:21 AM »
I've logged out of the web portal after deleting the device from my account. I've re-logged in to verify that the device is really deleted, and it is. I've confirmed that it is not registered in my 'new' account. Now over 24 hours has passed, and when I try to register my device (from my device), I am still receiving the same error. Somehow the unpairing is not working.

svehlak

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2012, 11:00:41 AM »
Ok, thank you for your report. So if I understood well, you:
- registered from the device to your first account
- went there, confirmed the e-mail about new account
- you have seen the device was paired on both sides
- you did unpair your device from first account by deleting it on the portal side
- you registered the second account from your device
- the device told you that is unable to pair to the second account
Am I right?

Did you confirm the second account resgitartion e-mail? What exactly the message (when unable to pair to the second account) is? Thanks for feedback, I really appreciate it.

reinhardholzner

« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2012, 01:55:35 PM »
OK guys - i think we still have issues here. However, if you want me to delete your device while the bug is NOT fixed, send me your IMEI to holzner@avast.com and i will delete the device from backend. Then it should work again.

stockman80

« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2012, 07:29:54 PM »
Ok, thank you for your report. So if I understood well, you:
- registered from the device to your first account
- went there, confirmed the e-mail about new account
- you have seen the device was paired on both sides
- you did unpair your device from first account by deleting it on the portal side
- you registered the second account from your device
- the device told you that is unable to pair to the second account
Am I right?

Did you confirm the second account resgitartion e-mail? What exactly the message (when unable to pair to the second account) is? Thanks for feedback, I really appreciate it.
Jan, yes. I did exactly what you described. Also, yes, I confirmed the second account registration e-mail. When I try to register the device to the second account, I receive the error that says: This device is already registered with a different account. If this is on purpose, please go online and delete your device from your old account and try again.

OK guys - i think we still have issues here. However, if you want me to delete your device while the bug is NOT fixed, send me your IMEI to holzner@avast.com and i will delete the device from backend. Then it should work again.
Sent you my IMEI. Thanks in advance for doing that!

REDACTED

« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2012, 03:47:02 PM »
I too am having this issue.  I've deleted the device from the incorrect login, and now after 3 days I'm still unable to register my device to a new account.

This is a tablet device, I can wait for the bug fix though to let you know if it worked.

reinhardholzner

« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2012, 03:50:16 PM »
stockman80: i just deleted your device
aaron: please send me your imei to holzner@avast.com

stockman80

« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2012, 07:22:29 PM »
Thanks! That solved the problem and I was able to register the device. I appreciate your help!

IGedeon

« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2012, 05:07:48 AM »
Hello,

I know, my mistake:

I installed AtiTheft on my device and registered a new account, some minutes later I realized there was an error on my mail address... so I just unlinked that account from my device and tried to link to other...

Now Avast says that my device is linked to anoter account, I don't remember exactly how I typed the mail the first time so I haven't been able to unlink from the preovious avast account.

Thank You!