Author Topic: The BEst  (Read 4668 times)

Datagg

The BEst
« on: January 09, 2005, 12:21:59 PM »
Ive always new it, ive alwways told others, ive written articles on it.  And tonight it did me proud once again.

Win32.crypto was found in a downloaded file. 

Looking up some info on it, I found this article. Now normaly I wouldnt post an article of this magnitude, yet this one struck a nerve, for it says Avast cant handle this virus, and is known to shut down when encountered.  My reasoning to post, is to debunk this as false, as yet again avast did me proud yet again.

Heres the article............

Win32.Crypto
This text was written with the help of Adrian Marinescu, GeCAD Software

It is a very dangerous memory resident parasitic polymorphic Win32 virus about 20K of length. It infects the KERNEL32.DLL and PE EXE files: it writes its code to the end of the file and modifies the necessary fields in the PE header to get control when an infected file is run. The virus also adds its "droppers" to archives of different types (ACE, RAR, ZIP, CAB, ARJ) and to some types of self-extracting packages (SFX ACE and RAR files).

The virus uses a polymorphic engine while infecting PE EXE files and archives only, and leaves the virus image unencrypted in the KERNEL32.DLL file.

The virus uses anti-debugging tricks, disables anti-virus on-access scanners (Avast, AVP, AVG and Amon), deletes anti-virus data files (AVP.CRC, IVP.NTZ, ANTI-VIR.DAT, CHKLIST.MS, CHKLIST.CPS, SMARTCHK.MS, SMARTCHK.CPS, AGUARD.DAT, AVGQT.DAT), patches the LGUARD.VPS file (anti-virus database?), and avoids infection of many anti-virus programs: TB, F-, AW, AV, NAV, PAV, RAV, NVC, FPR, DSS, IBM, INOC, ANTI, SCN, VSAF, VSWP, PANDA, DRWEB, FSAV, SPIDER, ADINF, SONIQUE, SQSTART.

One of the most important virus features is the fact that it encrypts/decrypts "on-the-fly" Windows libraries (DLL files) when they are loaded - on loading a library the virus decrypts it, on unloading the virus encrypts the file body. To encrypt DLL files the virus uses strong cryptographic algorithms (provided by Crypt API included in Windows). As a result once infected system keeps working only in case the virus code presents in the memory and realizes that encryption/decryption. In case the system is disinfected the DLL libraries stay encrypted, and the system cannot load them. The first virus to use such technology was the "Onehalf" multipartite virus that was "well known" in second halt of 90th.

The virus is incompatible with several Win32 versions, such as Win95 and Win98 standard edition. Under these conditions the virus does not install itself into the system (does not infect KERNEL32.DLL) and/or does not PE EXE infect files.
Installing into the system
When an infected file is executed for the first time on a clean system, the polymorphic decryptor loop gets control, restores original file code in clean form and passes control to there. The installation routine gets control, and after performing several anti-debugging and anti-anti-virus procedures installs the virus copy into the system.

While installing the virus affects the KERNEL32.DLL file in such a way that on the next startup Windows loads the virus code as a part of the KERNEL32 library. While infecting the virus patches the KERNEL32 export tables so that on next loading the virus intercepts and filters several file access functions that are exported from KERNEL32.DLL (CreateFile, OpenFile, __lopen, CopyFile, MoveFile, MoveFileEx, LoadLibrary, LoadLibraryEx, FreeLibrary - in both ANSI and UNICODE forms).

To infect KERNEL32.DLL (this library is loaded into the memory when the virus is run, so it is protected by Windows for writing) the virus copies the KERNEL32.DLL file to the Windows folder, infects this copy and then forces Windows to change the old file with the infected one at the next boot. As a result on next restart Windows will be loaded with infected KERNEL32.DLL - the virus filters file access events, and runs PE EXE and archives infection routines.

After infecting KERNEL32.DLL the virus erases its code from the memory and returns control to the host program.
Virus spreading
When Windows is loaded with infected KERNEL32.DLL the virus stays in memory as a component of KERNEL32.DLL, and hooks several KERNEL32 exported functions. On a first call to these functions the virus activates its infection routine that search for victim files (PE EXE) in the background and infects them. The virus searches files on all drives from C to Z.

To make the scanning process less suspicious, the virus will first wait for three seconds before each drive scan.

While infecting a file the virus enlarges the last file section and reserves space for its code, then writes the encrypted code along with the polymorphic decryptor in there and set the program entrypoint to the decryption routine.
Archive infection
The virus is able to add droppers to the archives of several types: ACE and RAR (including SFX self-extracting files), as well as ZIP, CAB, ARJ. The virus droppers in archives get a name randomly selected from the variants:

INSTALL, SETUP, RUN, SOUND, CONFIG, HELP, GRATIS, CRACK, UPDATE, README

beginning or/and ending with '!' char. The file name extension is .EXE.

To add its dropper to an archive the virus creates dropper as a disk file and executes the external program needed to process the respective archive type. Using this method, the virus is able to append the dropper compressed with a randomly selected method, depending on the archiver program.
Encrypting libraries
The virus creates cryptographic keys in the installation part of the virus (by using by Crypt API included in Windows). If the keys are created successfully, the virus is able to encrypt the code of the DLL files that are used by applications (they loaded by Windows in case of need). To do that the virus uses LoadLibrary and FreeLibrary hooks, intercepts library loading and encrypts/decrypt them on the fly.

Any DLL with the name starting with one of the following patterns are excepted: SFC, MPR, OLE32, NTDLL, GDI32, RPCRT4, USER32, RSASIG, SHELL32, CRYPT32, RSABASE, PSTOREC, KERNEL32, ADVAPI32, RUNDLL32, SFCFILES. Also, DLLs that are listed in followed lists are not encrypted:

System\CurrentControlSet\Control\SessionManager\KnownDLLs
 System\CurrentControlSet\Control\SessionManager\Known16DLLs

The most important aspect is that the encryption key and the encryption algorithm are unique for each infected system. WinCrypt supports custom encryption algorithms making disinfection from other systems than Windows impossible. The encryption of the DLLs will consume many time/CPU resources - the virus will read each time the needed keys from registry.

To be able to use the Crypt API included in Windows, the virus needs to create a new key, with the container name set to "Prizzy/29A". First the virus checks for its existence, and if the key is not present the dedicated API is called in order to create a new one. Then, the virus will need to store the generated key - for that, the virus will use the system registry. At this point the virus contains a limitation - it will assume that the key SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Cryptography\UserKeys\Prizzy/29A will be created after the CryptAquireContext API call. The virus will set the value 'Kiss Of Death' to the newly generated key.
--------------------------------------------------------

With that being said.  Thank you yet again prooving beyond a shadow of a doubt that avast is the best AV engine you can get.

Bless

Dan

mantra

Re: The BEst
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2005, 04:02:55 PM »
I agree 100% with u

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2005, 09:45:34 AM »
OK, what makes you think that avast! cannot handle this virus?

galooma

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2005, 09:53:15 AM »
I think that was claim of the author This text was written with the help of Adrian Marinescu, GeCAD Software

Datagg

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2005, 10:07:28 AM »
Igor I slapped that up to debunk the author......... And to once again prove my allegience to avast ;D

mantra

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2005, 01:02:42 PM »
igor
your servers i'm sure are protected by avast
but is your database the same of the home/pro version?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2005, 08:30:11 PM »
igor
your servers i'm sure are protected by avast
but is your database the same of the home/pro version?

I'm almost sure that is the same...
Better, I don't want even to think that they have anything better than us... Won't they give to us?  ::)
The best things in life are free.