Author Topic: Weird rootkit issue. Is there a log of files Avast has deleted?  (Read 2307 times)

omnipotentfaggot

Hi all,

I recently started using avast! Free on my new computer. Today a notification from avast! popped up saying that a rootkit had been detected. The pop-up window was so small I couldn't read more than a few letters of the file name or its location. The recommended action was to delete it, so I did — I was a bit panicked. However, the logical thing to do would have been to simply move it to the Virus Chest.

avast! keeps very large logs. Is there a log of files it has deleted, so I can find out what exactly was removed?

Many thanks for any help you can provide  :)

brettschulte

Re: Weird rootkit issue. Is there a log of files Avast has deleted?
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2013, 06:27:31 AM »
Hi all,

I recently started using avast! Free on my new computer. Today a notification from avast! popped up saying that a rootkit had been detected. The pop-up window was so small I couldn't read more than a few letters of the file name or its location. The recommended action was to delete it, so I did — I was a bit panicked. However, the logical thing to do would have been to simply move it to the Virus Chest.

avast! keeps very large logs. Is there a log of files it has deleted, so I can find out what exactly was removed?

Many thanks for any help you can provide  :)

Same issue here.  Clean install too, so unlikely there was really a root kit.

Offline mikaelrask

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
Re: Weird rootkit issue. Is there a log of files Avast has deleted?
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2013, 01:14:14 PM »
hey and welcome to the forum.

to be on the safe side please follow this guide and attach your logs

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=53253.0'

we need the logs from otl,mbam,awsmbr and adwclener.

@brettschulte please follow the same guide but start a new topic.
Windows 8.1 amd a10-5700 64 bit
12 GB ram 1 tb hard drive. Avast 18, MBAM