Author Topic: Mail Shield.  (Read 2365 times)

nbr903

Mail Shield.
« on: August 04, 2012, 01:39:40 PM »
According to all the indicators my computer is fully protected and all shields are active.
However it appears that the Mail Shield has not checked any messages, either in or out. The shield has been in position for several weeks now, but the counter still shows 0/0.
Any ideas, please??

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Mail Shield.
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2012, 02:07:36 PM »
Have you just installed avast and if so what was your previous AV and how was it removed ?

Is you email webmail, e.g. viewed through your browser or an email program ?

If through an email what email program and does the email server require SSL (secure encrypted email ?
Are you getting any error messages displayed ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD - 27" external monitor 1440p 2560x1440 resolution - avast! free  24.9.6130 (build 24.9.9452.762) UI 1.0.818/ Firefox, uBlock Origin Lite, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

nbr903

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2012, 09:34:10 AM »
Avast Internet Security was installed about 4 weeks ago. Previously I had the 'Free' version and also 'Zone Alarm'. I upgraded Avast and removed Zone Alarm via the Control Panel.
I use Hotmail for e-mail services and view messages through the program.
I don't know about the SSL question, I'm afraid.
I've had no Error Messages of any kind from either Avast or Hotmail.
Thank you for your interest.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2012, 09:47:17 AM »
If your reading your mail via an online service then avast avast wont scan that as you need to have an email client ( eg Thunderbird ) installed on your system for avast to do this.

Also if you use Windows Live Mail to retrieve your mail from hotmail - avast cannot scan this either as the connection between the two uses deltasync, Hotmail uses TrendMicro to prescan your mail first anyway.