Author Topic: Everytime I get an update it generates a monthly report even though its disabled  (Read 9531 times)

Offline EmoHobo

The report just says N/A and I have always had the monthly report feature disabled.

My definitions and version is up to date and I use windows XP SP3

Offline mikaelrask

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
hey could you post a screenshot of that plaese. you could try a clean installation of avast and see if that works.
Windows 8.1 amd a10-5700 64 bit
12 GB ram 1 tb hard drive. Avast 18, MBAM

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
In addition to the screenshot, I'd also like to see the avast5.ini file (c:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\AVAST Software\Avast\avast5.ini)
Can you upload it to ftp://ftp.avast.com/incoming please?

Offline EmoHobo

Oh could this be the sign of a serious issue or something? Everything seems to be working alright. I would screenshot it next time it autoupdates because I can't recreate it with the "Show Last Popup message" it just shows up as a regular update box.  Also I don't know how to upload to the FTP thing.

Edit: This just started happening yesterday and it's not a huge issue to me, so unless you guys think something is seriously wrong I wouldn't worry about it.  I'm looking right now and I can't even find the avast5.ini in that folder, maybe it's because I'm not using a clean install my install is back from when it called like Alwil Software or something.  I've had Avast installed for ages.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2012, 10:35:32 AM by EmoHobo »

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
Maybe time for a clean reinstall... ;)

- Which avast!..?? (Free/Pro/IS)
- Which version..??
- Other security related software installed..??
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline EmoHobo

Maybe time for a clean reinstall... ;)

- Which avast!..?? (Free/Pro/IS)
- Which version..??
- Other security related software installed..??

I always say I'm only going to clean reinstall if I'm having a major issue, just because it requires rebooting in safe mode, uninstalling and all that and I've had Avast for so long I'd be afraid to get on the internet without even just to download Avast again.

Free
7.0.1456 and 120817-0
MalwareBytes free and CCleaner, if that last one counts.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
I always say I'm only going to clean reinstall if I'm having a major issue, just because it requires rebooting in safe mode, uninstalling and all that and I've had Avast for so long I'd be afraid to get on the internet without even just to download Avast again.

So, do you want to try it, or not..??
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline EmoHobo

So, do you want to try it, or not..??
Nah, I don't think this is a serious enough issue to warrant it and knowing how my issues with Avast go, it will just go away in a few days and if not, as long as it's not the sign of a serious problem I am fine with a little bit of extra screen space being used up.  The weird thing is, if I generate a normal monthly report thing, it gives me the accurate statistics.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
Nah, I don't think this is a serious enough issue to warrant it...

OK, it's up to you. ;)

Offline EmoHobo

Nah, I don't think this is a serious enough issue to warrant it...

OK, it's up to you. ;)
Yeah, I'm just paranoid of both not trying it and trying it.  It's a weird feeling, I know nothing will go wrong, but I feel like maybe this issue will never go away and is a serious problem and since the only way to test it is by having a real update, it's hard to test.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
Yeah, I'm just paranoid of both not trying it and trying it.

Sorry, can't help you with that. ;D

Offline EmoHobo

So now I'm just trying to figure out if this is a serious issue or not.  Like I can't see what could be causing it, I didn't make any changes and suddenly they are there.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
You can use the button on the Maintenance / Support / Generate support package page - to create a support package. That includes the avast5.ini as well.
As for uploading the file, you can open ftp://ftp.avast.com/incoming in Windows Explorer (not Internet Explorer, just ordinary Explorer!) and once it opens, drag&drop the file on that window.

Offline EmoHobo

Igor would you still like me to upload the support package then?

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
Well, I find it weird; if the program settings show the monthly reports are disabled, yet they are still being shown... it's rather suspicious.