Author Topic: peer-to-peer watching  (Read 5641 times)

fakeMacGyver

peer-to-peer watching
« on: January 14, 2005, 05:08:36 AM »
Hi. I finally updated to v4.5; I was sticking with 4.1 'cause the 4.5 was conflicting with my "Sygate" firewall (which was constantly asking for permission to let "avast!" operate; but I figured it out).  :)

Anyway, I know that "avast!" has caught some viruses being downloaded unknowingly while using the "WinMX" peer-to-peer program. Reading over the update and information, I learned that there have been other P2P's added. My question is: can't you pick & choose which ones are to be monitored? I can't seem to find anything in the settings about these programs. Does "avast!" just automatically do them all, if any are running, and that being able to turn some on/off in the setting was pointless? It's just that I think I recall being able to do this before...

Offline Acco

• Where's my flask?!
Re: peer-to-peer watching
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2005, 06:13:00 AM »
Hi fakeMacGyver,

Click on your Avast tray "A-ball", then click on "Details" at the bottom, then the left side panel appears, where you can scroll and select "P2P Shield".
Then click on the "Customize" button by the Sensitivity slidebar, which gives you your ability to select or deselect what P2P groups are scanned.

Hope this helps!  ;)

Acco
Whadayamean it's broke,,,   let me make sure!

XP-Pro SP3 - P4 3.2 Ghz - 2 GB ram - Avast Free Home 2015.10.2.2218 - Firefox 38.0.1 - Thunderbird 31.6.0 - Imap Gmail - SpywareBlaster 5 - SuperAntiSpyware - Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Premium

fakeMacGyver

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2005, 06:59:27 AM »
Oh boy; I sure do feel silly.  :-[   <- (that's 'embarassed', but looks a bit too sad to me).

I knew I saw it there before...yep, there it is. Let's just pretend this never happened, okay? Thanks.

fakeMacGyver says: I'm so fake I couldn't even get out of this problem on my own...

Offline Acco

• Where's my flask?!
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2005, 07:36:14 AM »
LOL !

Don't feel bad fakeMacGyver!  ;D
I won't tell anyone if you don't let them know I put my shoes on backwards this morning... ;D

It can also be accessed by Right clicking on the tray "A-ball", and selecting "On-Access Protection Control", then "Details" (if detailed view is not on).

You're not fake,,,,,,,,,,You-Da'-Real-Thing!  8)
Glad it worked out!  :D

Acco
Whadayamean it's broke,,,   let me make sure!

XP-Pro SP3 - P4 3.2 Ghz - 2 GB ram - Avast Free Home 2015.10.2.2218 - Firefox 38.0.1 - Thunderbird 31.6.0 - Imap Gmail - SpywareBlaster 5 - SuperAntiSpyware - Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Premium

Offline MikeBCda

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2005, 06:17:39 PM »
LOL !

Don't feel bad fakeMacGyver!  ;D
I won't tell anyone if you don't let them know I put my shoes on backwards this morning... ;D
Acco

Wandering off topic, but in line with this one ...  don't forget what TGIF really means (used to be a blonde joke), "Toes go in first".   ;D ;D
Intel Atom D2700, 2 gig RAM, Win 7 x64 SP1 & IE-11, Firefox 51.0
(default). 320 gig HD, 15Mb DSL, Win firewall, Avast 12.3.2280 free, SpywareBlaster, MBAM Prem., Crypto-Prevent

hempster

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2005, 10:17:26 AM »
just a note though ,, if you have anything other than windows xp , 2003 , nt ...
 then your out of luck :)   , As advant wont scan those peer to peer programs , its about the only problem i have found ... sorta -bitching , still the best piece of soft-ware i found in a while ...!
     peace
 hempster

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2005, 02:07:06 PM »
As advant wont scan those peer to peer programs , its about the only problem i have found

I did not understand you...
What do you mean?
avast can scan P2P programs...  :)
The best things in life are free.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2005, 04:36:16 PM »
avast does scan P2P programs, just not all of them with win98, check the list in the help file without an * they will be ok with win98.

Extract from Help file.
Note: Protection of the programs marked with an asterisk (*) is available on Windows NT, 2000, XP, and 2003 only.

As far as I am aware, this restriction is more to do with those P2P programs using the XP functionality, rather than avast not scanning them.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security