Author Topic: Release version keeps prompting me to install anti-theft  (Read 4541 times)

greiam

Release version keeps prompting me to install anti-theft
« on: August 21, 2012, 02:55:45 AM »
Earlier today, I installed the update that takes AMS to the release version, 2.0.2750. But the anti-theft module keeps prompting me to install its update. But I've already done it, a few times, now. I've taken it off of the list of approved devices on the Device Administrators list, completed the whole process. The prompt says I should install Anti-Theft to 2.0.2571. Is that part of the problem? Did I install the older beta after installing the release version? If so, though, it's only because I was prompted to.

This is on a rooted Nexus 7 running 4.1.1.

greiam

Re: Release version keeps prompting me to install anti-theft
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2012, 03:59:02 AM »
I have two Nexus 7 devices. I uninstalled Anti-Theft on both of them, then reinstalled. Now, I don't get the repeated message to update. Device number 2 shows up and works fine in all ways with the web portal. Device number 1 shows up on the list of devices, but the web interface says Anti-Theft is not installed. But it is, at least according to the device itself. The device passes the "Fix connection problems" test without problem. The icon for AT with the dummy name is not present, though, even after rebooting.

I'm very impressed by all this, but the installation and checklist aspect of what needs to be in place for AT to work fully is scattered and confusing. I'm a developer and have a hard time keeping it all straight.

Maybe I need to uninstall the whole thing and start completely over again.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2012, 04:04:45 AM by greiam »

greiam

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2012, 07:50:23 AM »
I uninstalled and reinstalled everything and now things seem to be in order as far as the prompt to update goes. But one device reports that the main app is version 2.0.2709 and the other is 2.0.2750. But the older version claims to be up to date.

reinhardholzner

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2012, 10:00:57 AM »
you always have to separate between Anti-Theft and Mobile Security. Those are different build numbers.

greiam

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2012, 07:12:20 PM »
I understand that. But I'm getting different build numbers for Mobile Security. I guess I'll start from scratch with the device with the lower number.

greiam

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2012, 08:03:47 PM »
So now I uninstalled and reinstalled the whole package on the newer device, the one that was reporting the earlier version of the program itself. This includes uninstalling and reinstalling the Anti-Theft package. The web portal now reports that this device has the latest program. But it says that Anti-Theft is not installed. Except it is. And the device tells me it is.

How can I get the web portal to get a read from the device to recheck? It tells me that the last check was 15 minutes ago.

greiam

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2012, 10:10:26 PM »
Hi. Me again, talking more to myself.

I uninstalled and reinstalled AT again and now it's seen as installed on the web portal. But this time, it's not a root installation, because, I think, the installer never prompted me for it. The Hard Reset Protection/Store Settings link is grayed out, so I can't do that. I don't even see where I can indicate that I want it installed as a root installation. I suppose I could go through this all over again, yet another time.

Again, I like what this can be. But if someone like me has this much trouble with it, then a whole lot of other users will, too.

greiam

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2012, 10:28:09 PM »
One more time and it worked. I did the Advanced install first, which I've usually, but not always done.

Again, please folks, with all respect for all the work and good things you've done with this, particularly adding the web portal, which is particularly helpful for those of us with tablets, a more orderly process/wizard or user interface for this installation would save users and, ultimately, yourselves, a lot of trouble.