Author Topic: how to enable internet connection remotely?  (Read 18359 times)

bubu38

how to enable internet connection remotely?
« on: August 21, 2012, 04:30:05 PM »
Hello,

Is it possible to activate the internet connection (3G/EDGE) remotely? In fact, I disable this default connection (less battery consumption). But if it's not activated, it is no longer possible to send requests with Avast Mobile Security ...

Tthank you for your answers

Offline Werner

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
Re: how to enable internet connection remotely?
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2012, 04:37:02 PM »
Hello,

it's already possible. but only for rooted devices.

bubu38

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2012, 04:51:08 PM »
Thanks for your answer!

My device is indeed rooted. What is the command to send (or select option) to activate the internet remotely?

bubu38

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2012, 01:15:55 PM »
Could you tell me what is the command to send to activate "mobile internet connection". I'm talking about the "mobile Internet connection" (3G, EDGE) and not WIFI.

Thank you

reinhardholzner

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2012, 01:16:35 PM »
you have to enable the protection behaviors first.
then whenever you sent LOST command, the behavior will apply.

bubu38

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2012, 01:37:24 PM »
So, if I lost my phone with the internet connection not activated, it's not possible to activate this connection remotely, right?
It is possible to activate the WIFI connection (LOCATE for example), but not the 3G connection, right?

reinhardholzner

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2012, 02:43:12 PM »
no you can send SMS LOST to the phone. This will cause the internet connection to become active and stay active, if you have that protection behavior set.

bubu38

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2012, 03:18:42 PM »
OK, I understand the procedure with the LOST command.
I have checked that the option "Force Data connection" is selected.
But when I send an SMS with the command "LOST" or from the Avast site, the request is not considered (Command Time Out) and the data connection is not activated.
By cons, if I do the same manipulation with the data connection enabled on my phone, the LOST command works correctly.
So, I noticed that if my phone is lost (or stolen) while the data connection is inactive, it is impossible to send commands ...
Is this normal?

reinhardholzner

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2012, 03:21:13 PM »
please try to send LOST by SMS and check if data connectivity gets turned on successfully. before that make sure that the protection behavior is enabled.

chrismalla

« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2012, 03:28:09 PM »
I've waited so long for the web portal and what do I get? It requires the mobile data internet connection to be turned on!? That's stupid. I was certain about how you were going to issue the commands, via sms, and NOT via internet.
ALL available SMS commands should be possible to send from the web portal, not only a few of them. You should definitely rework the web portal! It really doesn't allow you to do much from there.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2012, 03:33:21 PM by chrismalla »

reinhardholzner

« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2012, 04:02:59 PM »
a nice wish, but i am sure you know that SMS cost a lot of money. Sending 100.000s of commands by SMS for free would certainly ruin every company out there. i am sorry.

reinhardholzner

« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2012, 04:04:46 PM »
PS: you still have the possibility to remote control Anti-Theft by SMS of course. Plus if you enable "keep data connection on" protection behavior + send the LOST command by SMS to the phone, the device goes online.

chrismalla

« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2012, 04:14:57 PM »
Yes, I can live with that. But many of the commands that are available via SMS can't be used in the web portal, that's bad.
Some other suggestions are;
Record sound and send it up to the cloud when done recording.
Take photos (front or back camera) and an option to use flash.
The CALL command: I'm using CM10 on the Galaxy S2, when calling someone, it's not being hidden good enough. Why not enter the phone into black, fullscreen mode while in a call and disable all HW/SW keys and buttons? Only way to get out of the full screen (black) is: The person at the other end has to end the call, then the black screen will go away.

reinhardholzner

« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2012, 04:16:49 PM »
which commands can't be used from the portal?

chrismalla

« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2012, 04:24:19 PM »
Almost all listed below "GET <query limit> SMS" right here: http://www.avast.com/en-se/free-mobile-security#tab5
About the suggestions?