Author Topic: Avast vs foxmail/hotmail  (Read 8479 times)

cvsa

Avast vs foxmail/hotmail
« on: January 15, 2005, 02:27:23 PM »
i'm a new user of avast (i used to haves antivir before without problem...)

Your program seems very good but i've abig problem :

i cannot read anymore my hotmail account with foxmail (foxhot) . it says incorrect password when trying to log in .....
same pb if i desactivate the avast scanning of emails.... only a complete removing of avast gives me back the possibility of reading my hotmail with foxmail....

is there a special way to setup avast or foxmail ?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Avast vs foxmail/hotmail
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2005, 02:35:57 PM »
Welcome!  8)

Is there a special way to setup avast or foxmail ?

Hotmail/Yahoo is not a pop3 email service (unless you pay for pop service), it is web based (so the Internet Mail provider doesn't directly protect it). Web based email is simply your email being viewed in the same way you browser the internet. The pages (that display your email) are downloaded into your Temporary Internet folder, just like regular web pages and displayed on your browser screen.

The Standard Shield will scan your files (as they are downloaded into your Temporary Internet folder) when sensitivity is set to High. You can round this 'problem' using 3rd party applications to download the Hotmail messages through the pop3 server (PopHotmail, for instance).

Can you check your avast4.ini file against the explanations on 'Settings' in my signature?
See section [MailScanner], problably values:
PopListen=127.0.0.1:110
AutoSetProtection=1
AutoRedirect=1

Can you try?
The best things in life are free.

cvsa

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2005, 02:46:49 PM »
the settings are ok

second question :

is it normal that th mail resident doesnt'scans my mail when they are collected by foxmail while the mails are scanned when they're collected by outlook express ?

avast desn't  support  foxmail ? ???

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2005, 02:54:36 PM »
Is it normal that th mail resident doesnt'scans my mail when they are collected by foxmail while the mails are scanned when they're collected by outlook express ?

I think the problem is Hotmail and not FoxMail.

avast desn'tĀ  supportĀ  foxmail ? ???

Well, I'm not sure but avast is not limited to email clients into Windows XP. Is scans the mail traffic regardless the application.
The best things in life are free.

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2005, 03:02:30 PM »
Hotmail uses it's own AV scanner so you don't necessary need another AV to check the mail again. avast! Standard Shield would be the last barrier to catch viruses anyway.
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

cvsa

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2005, 03:09:19 PM »
I found a partial solution here, on the french foxmail page

http://foxmail.free.fr/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1933&highlight=avast

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2005, 09:59:25 PM »
A quick scan of Foxmail shows that it includes a Hotmail POP3 proxy.  That means it is another example of a program that reads the Hotmail messages via http and translates them into a POP3 stream delivered via localhost.

Avast! still does not provide clear and consistent information to users of these services on how to configure Avast! so that this POP3 mail stream may be scanned.

If Foxmail uses localhost and port 110 then the easiest way to ensure that this mail is scanned is to edit the Avast4.ini file (most likely found in Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast\DATA folder).  In the section headed:

[MailScanner]

add a line:

IgnoreLocalhost=0

If there is no [MailScanner] section then just create it.

The mail client would then just be set up as normal (and as if Avast! were not involved).  I have tested this with a number of different webmail POP3 proxy programs (YahooPops, MrPostman and FreePops using a number of webmail services) and Avast! has scanned all of the mail successfully - including adding the "scanned by Avast!" text.