Author Topic: Installation Question  (Read 3114 times)

kpfuser

Installation Question
« on: January 15, 2005, 05:43:41 PM »
I am looking into potential issues prior to installing Avast in an XP service pack 2 pc  with Sygate Personal Firewall Pro 5.5.  Since Avast is said to include some sort of firewall of its own. I would like to know whether it may conflict with SPFPro either during installation or under normal operation. My concerns do not include allowing Avast to connect to various IP addresses in order to get updates, set up, etc., as this issue is  well-documented and can be handled routinely. My concern is whether there are firewall-to-firewall conflicts and, if so, how they can be resolved. In addition, I would like to know if the installation is affected by the existence of SPFPro and, if so, whether any precautions are needed.

Thanks in advance for your comments!

niko

Re: Installation Question
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2005, 05:55:00 PM »
Hi, I use Avast! pro + Sygate firewall pro + SP2 firewall without conflict or pb on XP pro 8)

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2005, 06:05:18 PM »
There should be no problems during install or after the installation.

Avast doens't have a firewall. It is IDS (Intrusion Detection System)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2005, 06:42:00 PM »
I would like to know if the installation is affected by the existence of SPFPro and, if so, whether any precautions are needed.

Not in particulary...
ashMaiSv.exe (Mail service) and avast.setup (a temporary file generated while updating) must connect the Internet.
No server rights should be asked.
Anyway, Sygate has some 'problems' while identifying the temporary update file and, maybe, you have some minor difficulty to setup Sygate (rules). Most users do not find any trouble.
Welcome  8)
The best things in life are free.

kpfuser

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2005, 06:50:47 PM »
Thank you all!

I will go ahead with the installation. I hope all will end up well.