Author Topic: Avast freezes my computer  (Read 2984 times)

espig

Avast freezes my computer
« on: August 23, 2012, 04:21:41 PM »
Hello,

For two times Avast hanged completely my computer, I still could move the mouse but all applications were unresponsive. I could heard some hard disk noise when that happened (no hardware problem).
Killing those applications would not solve the issue so I had to forze a restart.

I decided to uninstall Avast until this gets solved, I don't know how to reproduce the problem.
I'm using Mac OS X 10.6.8.

Thanks!

Offline zilog

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
  • or #f0; daa; add a,#a0; adc a,#40
Re: Avast freezes my computer
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2012, 09:55:34 AM »
Hello,

For two times Avast hanged completely my computer, I still could move the mouse but all applications were unresponsive. I could heard some hard disk noise when that happened (no hardware problem).
Killing those applications would not solve the issue so I had to forze a restart.

I decided to uninstall Avast until this gets solved, I don't know how to reproduce the problem.
I'm using Mac OS X 10.6.8.

Thanks!

Hallo, the effect is caused by fileshield, which is trying to communicate with the scanning service which is no longer able to respond.
At the moment we're also unable to reproduce this on a deterministic manner - do you know upon which occassion that happened (installing some software, running some particular app)?

Regards,
pc
May's Law: Software efficiency halves every 18 months, compensating Moore's Law. (David May, INMOS)