Author Topic: corrupted avast - can't uninstall  (Read 6384 times)

mouse

corrupted avast - can't uninstall
« on: January 17, 2005, 11:58:11 PM »
I am afraid my Avast has become corrupted.:-\ I would like to uninstall it completely and then do a fresh install. However, trying to do it via add/remove programs in XP does not work. While the program is listed there, pressing the button just shows the hourglass for a second but nothing ever happens. Is there another way to clean out the files properly before a reinstall?  ???

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: corrupted avast - can't uninstall
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2005, 12:11:07 AM »
Why not try a repair of the installation first.

Add Remove programs, avast! Anti-Virus, Change/Remove button and scroll down to Repair, click next and follow. You need to be on-line to do this.

Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

mouse

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2005, 01:06:31 AM »
David, thanks but I only see the normal stuff add/remove, windows components etc but no repair :'(

I guess that function will be available once you click on change/remove but when I press this button, nothing happens. It does not open any further screen :o
« Last Edit: January 18, 2005, 01:08:30 AM by mouse »

inthewildteam

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2005, 01:09:26 AM »
@ mouse
the option should appear (from your screenshot) after clicking change/remove ...... you might have to scroll down in the avast option screen to see the repair option

mouse

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2005, 01:39:45 AM »
I guessed that already but I can't get that far.
When pressing the change/remove button in XP nothing happens, I do not get to the next screen where I could choose remove or repair. ???

inthewildteam

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2005, 01:46:14 AM »
I guessed that already but I can't get that far.
When pressing the change/remove button in XP nothing happens, I do not get to the next screen where I could choose remove or repair. ???

You could try here

http://www.avast.com/eng/avast_uninstall_util.html

mouse

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2005, 02:16:14 AM »
 ;D Great, that's what I was looking for. Worked fine and I have now reinstalled the program and wait for the outcome of my first scan 8)
Thanks for your help :)

inthewildteam

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2005, 02:25:30 AM »
@ mouse,

good that your problem was resolved and thanks for posting the outcome (it'll help other users)

Don't be a stranger, there's a wealth of knowledge here, and maybe some cheese also  ;D

garyb

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2005, 02:35:54 AM »
@mouse
I notice that you seem to have Symantec products listed there on your system.  I'd suggest you search these forums to discover what problems that might lead to...
It's highly recommended (probably even required) that you remove Norton (or most any other AV for that matter) for Avast to work properly.

inthewildteam

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2005, 02:50:32 AM »
@mouse
I notice that you seem to have Symantec products listed there on your system.  I'd suggest you search these forums to discover what problems that might lead to...
It's highly recommended (probably even required) that you remove Norton (or most any other AV for that matter) for Avast to work properly.

Like I said "wealth of knowledge"

Well spotted!

Mea culpa  ;)

mouse

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2005, 04:19:01 AM »
 :o This is a remnant of my "wild" past. The actual program had already been removed but I guess I forgot about the two remaining update/rego thingies. Consider it done - No more Norton on this PC ;D

inthewildteam

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2005, 04:23:38 AM »
:o This is a remnant of my "wild" past. The actual program had already been removed but I guess I forgot about the two remaining update/rego thingies. Consider it done - No more Norton on this PC ;D

Problem solved mouse?

mouse

« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2005, 04:51:26 AM »
 :) Sure, everything is fine now  ;)