Author Topic: Worm, no Worm  (Read 3453 times)

schwamml

Worm, no Worm
« on: January 18, 2005, 02:53:01 AM »
Hi all,
today I recieved a mail on my gmx-account. This mail was detected as SPAM by gmx and moved to the spam folder.
This mail had an attachment (file.exe). Usualy, the only thing to do with this mail is: delete it.
But i did a test to avast  ;)   I saved this file.exe to my harddrive: No Alarm. I checked this file with avast: No Alarm.
I thougt, maybe it's something knew.
So I moved the complete mail to inbox and got it with pop3: ALARM!!! Mydoom.L2 (Wrm)

Why didn't Avast detect the Worm, when I was saving the file to Harddrive and checked it???

(Sorry for maybe some fault's in english  ;) )

Thanks
Schwamml

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: Worm, no Worm
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2005, 04:32:13 AM »
Looks like this is caused by the setting you made in Avast.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2005, 01:22:08 PM »
Why didn't Avast detect the Worm, when I was saving the file to Harddrive and checked it???

Which are your resident task settings?
If you do not ask for scanning open/created/modified files... your mailbox won't be scanned while being copied...
The best things in life are free.

schwamml

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2005, 02:45:16 PM »
Hi,
i "tested" it again... and i think, gmx was deleting the worm... when i download the file from gmx direct to harddrive, the file is aboud 800 Byte. When i get the whole mail with pop3, the attachment is abaout 22 kByte.

Maybe this is a "secret" feature of gmx. I've got the free mail account, where no virus protection is included ;-)

cu

G.

Gillie2tat

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2005, 08:02:05 PM »
I wonder if there's some restriction on the size of attachment you can download with GMX and maybe it's cutting off the attachment once you've downloaded the limit?  You might want to check their FAQs because to me that seems more likely.  I had a look at it but I'm afraid I don't read German other than a few words here and there.