Author Topic: "copying files" - is this AVAST on my taskbar?  (Read 6089 times)

Shae

"copying files" - is this AVAST on my taskbar?
« on: January 21, 2005, 05:58:50 PM »
All of a sudden I am noticing when I turn on the computer for the first time during the day, I can see the words "copying files" across my taskbar. 

I am wondering what is being copied.  Is this part of AVAST?

« Last Edit: January 24, 2005, 06:26:25 PM by Nana2 »

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: "coying files" - is this AVAST on my taskbar?
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2005, 07:56:16 PM »
I have never seen anything like that with my setup, I would suggest that you run HiJackThis to ensure you have nothing untoward running in the back ground.

For mor information check out Eddy's Website click the "HiJackThis Section" and also the "Malware removal instructions and applications" section.
and follow the directions there and get back to us if you need more help....
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
Re: "coying files" - is this AVAST on my taskbar?
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2005, 02:19:04 PM »
All of a sudden I am noticing when I turn on the computer for the first time during the day, I can see the words "copying files" across my taskbar. 

I am wondering what is being copied.  Is this part of AVAST?

No, I'm 100% sure that's not part of the avast! Our antivirus doesn't copy anything, it is antivirus tool, it's checking, preventing, and healing your system. If it's needed, it kills viruses or sometimes, just puts them to "sleep".

That message came from somewhere else, some other program is doing that. Next time, when you turn your system ON, it would be great to take a screenshot of message you get (copying files window), so we can take closer look...

Just, out of curiosity, are you really 104 years old ? Because it says like that in your profile... If not, just FYI, there is no need to lie about anything inside our profiles. These forums are serious forums, computer security related, and I'm sure no one will ever make jokes about your real age. On MSN, Yahoo! and other messenger programs, maybe that's the case, but not in here...
MB: GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H Intel 7 Series  - LGA1155, CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K - Quad Core, 3.40GHz (3.80GHz Max Turbo), CPU COOLER: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Direct Heat Pipe R2, RAM: 16 GB Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3, VIDEO CARD: Galaxy GeForce GTX 560 Ti - 1GB, GDDR5, POWER SUPPLY: Corsair Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 - 750 Watts, HD: Seagate Barracuda - 2TB, 7200RPM, 64MB, SATA 6Gb/s

Shae

Re: "copying files" - is this AVAST on my taskbar?
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2005, 06:25:42 PM »
Your comment made me chuckle.  I'd hoped to add a brief  smile to someone's day rather than cause you distress.  I rather thought it went with the photo.  It had nothing at all to do with my question to the forum.  As far as taking what I do on my computer as "serious,"  they don't come much more "serious" than me.

Thank you for taking the time to respond to my post.

Now that I know this "copying files" thing at the bottom of the screen has nothing to do with AVAST backing up my system, I am wondering if it has something to do with System Restore. 

I just ran Hijack this a couple of days ago.  I run all the usual checkups faithfully.  No viruses.  No adware.  I took a screenshot too ... unfortunately I deleted it.  I'll grab another one next time it shows it's face on the taskbar.

The mystery deepens ...

"Eddy" ... if you're out there ... thanks again for your thoughtfulness.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2005, 06:28:20 PM by Nana2 »

Shae

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2005, 07:32:36 PM »
Y'know, there's nothing like seeing a photo right under your nose to see the obvious.  I never noticed the title until this minute!  I usually close both of those "annoying" windows that have been popping up when I boot since I re-romatted.  Duh.  I was fixated on what was happening in the taskbar!

I'll go away and stop being a pest now.

Thanks for your efforts on my behalf.

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2005, 08:00:53 PM »
No, you are not pest at all... I'm glad you solved your problem now... I knew that screenshots can help. They always help...  :)
MB: GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H Intel 7 Series  - LGA1155, CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K - Quad Core, 3.40GHz (3.80GHz Max Turbo), CPU COOLER: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Direct Heat Pipe R2, RAM: 16 GB Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3, VIDEO CARD: Galaxy GeForce GTX 560 Ti - 1GB, GDDR5, POWER SUPPLY: Corsair Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 - 750 Watts, HD: Seagate Barracuda - 2TB, 7200RPM, 64MB, SATA 6Gb/s

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2005, 08:23:43 PM »
As i can see it's a Hewlett Packard (HP) printer driver.
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog