Author Topic: Mouse gone AWOL  (Read 2555 times)

Rex

Mouse gone AWOL
« on: January 22, 2005, 05:12:07 PM »
Hi there,

I am not only new to this forum, but also to Avast Antivirus.

Moved to it not only because of a recommendation but also because I am not happy with the recently updated AVG.  I think I like Avast but haven't really had time to check all its features.

Before installing Avast, I disabled AVG from the Start menu in msconfig.  However, the AVG boot-up scanner was still working.  I installed Avast and have configured it; then my mouse went 'sort of' AWOL.

I'm using an MS Trackball Optical on an IBM Thinkpad connected to the USB port and running W98SE.  The mouse still works but the cursor movement is very erratic, which it was not previously.

I have now removed  AVG completely, run HiJackThis, SpyBot and  a few reg cleaners but the mouse is still erratic.  Have now removed Avast, intending to reinstall but the mouse is still erratic.  Device Manager seems clear of any conflicts.

Before I restore from a Ghost image file, I wonder if there is anything else I can do?
Should I remove the mouse and reinstall it?  Are there any known software conflicts with Avast?

Many thanks in advance for your advice,

Rex

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
Re: Mouse gone AWOL
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2005, 09:38:09 AM »
Not this kind of conflicts... sounds more like a problem with the mouse itself or its driver to me.

Rex

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2005, 10:34:37 AM »
Igor,

Thanks for your reply.  Problem solved.

Did restore a Ghost image but much to my surprise (and annoyance), it made no difference.

Switched to my wife's mouse and everything worked fine.  So cleaned the lens of my mouse and a lump of dust fell out!

Always keep your mouse clean.

Rex

watchthisspace

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2005, 10:55:22 AM »
cleaned the lens of my mouse and a lump of dust fell out!

Always keep your mouse clean.

Rex
hehe, I must remember that, and Im glad you fixed the problem  8)
And Welcome to the forums ;)