Author Topic: Bandwidth usage  (Read 8552 times)

Druzyek

Bandwidth usage
« on: September 10, 2012, 09:49:08 AM »
I am trying to use as little bandwidth as possible since I pay for internet by the megabyte. I looked at all the programs that use bandwidth and AvastSvc.exe seemed to be using a lot. According to some other posts, it only looks like this because other traffic is routed through it. Then, I shut down everything that uses bandwidth except two Windows processes that are needed to use the internet, and Avast. I let my computer idle and for the first few minutes the windows processes only used a few kilobytes. A few minutes later AvastSvc.exe suddenly used about 300 kilobytes. No other processes were running and the two Windows processes weren't using any bandwidth. Why would Avast suddenly use so much bandwidth if nothing was being routed through it? I checked the monitoring program to make sure no other processes had quickly loaded and exited after using bandwidth. Is there any way to stop Avast from using extra bandwidth? Even one megabyte an hour would be significant.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
Re: Bandwidth usage
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2012, 10:06:12 AM »
300 Kb's is nothing and slight rises such as that could be related to avast searching for updates or other programs doing there thing which are all routed through avast, if that amount of usage is too high for you then all i can suggest is dont connect to the internet.

Druzyek

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2012, 11:06:26 AM »
craigb, you don't seem to understand my problem at all. Avast is not searching for updates because I switched that to manual. I dont think AvastSvc is responsible for updates either. Other programs are not "doing there thing." I can see from my bandwidth monitor that Windows and Avast are the only things using bandwidth. Everything else has been turned off. As I said in my post, I am looking at the bandwidth usage when it is idling. Yes, 300KB is not much but if it does this periodically it will start to add up.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2012, 11:17:45 AM »
Well cloud services are probably still enabled plus you would have to look at what other windows services would still be connecting such as windows updates, windows time - other programs that connect could be java, adobe, skype and itune's if you have and just about all programs these days include there own updating abilities so like i mentioned the only way to completly stop minimal connection is to disconnect from the net, even the router/modem or phone or whatever means you use to connect would also have it's own amount of connection usage.

Druzyek

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2012, 09:20:13 AM »
No, java, adobe, skype, and itunes are not connecting or updating anything because I turned all of them off. I use a program called NetBalancer to see how much bandwidth each program uses. This is how I know that EVERYTHING that is running, other than Avast and a few Windows services, is not using the internet. If for some reason one of the Windows services I need gets routed through Avast and that's why it looks like Avast is using bandwidth, it is not a problem. If on the other hand it is only Avast using bandwidth, as it looks like, then it would be nice to get to the bottom of it and see if I can save any more bandwidth.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2012, 09:24:07 AM »
Everything on your system that connects to the internet is routed through avast including all windows processes.

Oxa

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2012, 01:11:52 AM »
Druzyek -  Sorry no one is listening to what you're saying. Maybe try a different forum.

marc-d-l

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2012, 01:34:47 AM »
What OS are you using.? am using Vista and my usage averages at about 556 bytes to 1.5 KB at idle,with 43 processes running.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2012, 01:47:39 AM »
Druzyek -  Sorry no one is listening to what you're saying. Maybe try a different forum.

It isn't that no one is listening it is about how avast works to protect your system.

These connections if they weren't being redirected through the avast localhost proxy so that they can be scanned; then they wouldn't be attributed to avastSvc.exe, but the the parent process making the connection request.

The updates are all controlled by avast.setup as far as I'm aware, but the streaming updates and the Reputation Services in Summary, Cloud Services may well come under the avastSvc.exe.

So it is possible that with the small 300KB usage mentioned something is reaching out which is being redirected or possibly a file being scanned that is new, etc. could be being checked against the cloud services reputation database.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Re7

« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2012, 08:05:36 PM »
HI, I am having the same problem. AsvtSvc.exe is sending 100kbps and receiving 100kbps, its some times changes and goes up to 250kpbs but dont goes less than 50kbps on sending and receiving. this is always more than my chrome.exe donwload rate or any other program, so i aways have the half of connection. it always happening and when i see that my connection is slow i see that avastsvc.exe is taking 250kbps.

There is something i can do to change it?

Sorry to open this topic but i think he had the same problem so i can have the same solution.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2012, 09:32:06 PM »
Read my reply above yours, there are many reasons for this legit activity.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security