Author Topic: Stealth mode in new Avast Anti-Theft?  (Read 12589 times)

winninh

Stealth mode in new Avast Anti-Theft?
« on: September 10, 2012, 10:52:39 PM »
I installed Avast Anti-Theft over the weekend.  Previously, I had installed Avast Mobile Security, but was waiting for the new version of Anti-Theft with web portal control.  Previously I was using SeekDroid.

My question is this:  Does the new version of Anti-Theft support Stealth Mode?  My install is on an HTC Incredible 4G LTE running ICS.  As I was installing Anti-Theft, I don't recall being prompted to name a dummy app name.  I have Anti-Theft enabled, but I still see the Avast! Anti-Theft icon in my Apps list under settings.  Also, Anti-Theft still shows up within AMS.  Not so stealthy.  After install, I did reboot my phone.  So, it seems Stealth Mode is not working.

Any help appreciated.

winninh

Re: Stealth mode in new Avast Anti-Theft?
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2012, 11:58:24 PM »
By the way, my phone is not rooted.  When enabled, the Avast Anti-Theft icon is hidden in the app drawer.  But, in Settings_Apps, it is visible.  Should it not be in stealth mode in Settings_Apps?

reinhardholzner

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2012, 02:31:56 PM »
did you choose simple installation mode?

winninh

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2012, 05:20:51 PM »
I did.  Again, I confirmed that the Avast! Anti-Theft icon is not in my app drawer, but the app is listed in Settings_Apps.  Is that normal functionality?

reinhardholzner

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2012, 09:36:20 AM »
in simple installation mode, the standard name avast! Anti-Theft is used. you need to use advanced mode to choose the name.
in the next update, the simple installation mode will use a random name though.

winninh

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2012, 05:44:53 PM »
Do I need to uninstall, then reinstall,  to use advanced mode?

yokuyuki

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2012, 01:06:20 AM »
I used advanced mode and the app is still named normally even though I named it something else although the package name is the name that I gave it. If I use stealth mode, the app is still there after reboot.

reinhardholzner

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2012, 03:25:58 PM »
you mean the "App Name" is changed right? Thats how it should be.
The package name is always the same.

psfowler

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2012, 04:51:55 AM »
Installing Anti Theft on HTC One X and enabling does not hide Anti Theft app in Stealth Mode as per other comments. I used Simple installation not Advanced. Also test SMS commands to the phone (Siren on & off) do work but phone notifications occur on receipt of SMSs.

reinhardholzner

« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2012, 02:10:35 PM »
Please describe more exactly what your issue with stealth mode is.

Regarding SMS: it seems you have an incompatible SMS tool installed. You should have been warned about that by Anti-Theft.

winninh

« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2012, 10:06:08 PM »
Do I need to uninstall, and then reinstall, to use advanced mode? 

Also, is Handcent SMS compatible?  I've read conflicting opinions online.  If not, that would be a deal breaker for me as Handcent is by far the best Android SMS app.

reinhardholzner

« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2012, 02:53:22 PM »
yes you need to reinstall. no, handcent SMS did not fix their SMS receiver priority we tried to talk to them but they won't adjust. so it is NOT compatible. if you do not use SMS commands (only my.avast.com) then this does not matter of course.

Do I need to uninstall, and then reinstall, to use advanced mode? 

Also, is Handcent SMS compatible?  I've read conflicting opinions online.  If not, that would be a deal breaker for me as Handcent is by far the best Android SMS app.

pav7676

« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2012, 08:31:15 PM »
Hi Reinhard.  I also have the HTC Incredible 4G.  Can't get Avast into stealth mode either.  Double checked basic & advanced settings, cycled my phone, still see Avast icon in my app drawer and settings.

Thanks,
Pav7676

JUST FOUND other thread that may have cleared this up for me.  So only Anti-Theft icon gets replaced by phony name.  If "Avast! mobile security" icon with name remains in app drawer, seems to defeat the purpose of stealth mode.  Seeing this type of application alone will trigger a thief into just shutting down/tossing the phone as mentioned in your "reasoning" section.  Maybe let us toggle the whole Avast! icon into stealth mode.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2012, 08:42:42 PM by pav7676 »

reinhardholzner

« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2012, 01:05:26 PM »
it does not make sense to put an anti-virus to stealth mode. an antivirus has a different purpose and needs to stay visible!