Author Topic: Application White Listing Module  (Read 2077 times)

Nesivos

Application White Listing Module
« on: September 11, 2012, 04:33:53 PM »
I would like to see avast! add an application white-listing module.   This would differ from the sandbox modules in that it would give the user total control over which apps can be installed and run on their computer.   The sandbox feature is an avast! app control or avast! app suggested module.   However, it is possible that the sandbox module could let a program install without the user knowing about it.   Not only that but the program would not even run in the sandbox mode.

With an application whitelist module the user would have control over which apps can install and run on their computer, thus preventing any accidental installing and running of apps unknown to the user.   This would include apps that are part of software updates that users click through and unknowingly install some software they don't want like Google Chrome. (my apologies to Chrome users :))

All apps would be automatically prevented from installing and running unless the user specifically allows them to be.   A list of all white listed apps could be made available in the module as a convenient alternative way of see what apps are are installed on the user's computer.    Since apps are usually on a computer before avast is installed then during the avast! install process avast! would scan the computer for all apps.  It would then present the list of installed apps to the user for review.  During the avast! install process all apps presented for user review would be automatically white listed unless blacklisted by the user during the avast! install process.

If a user approves an app it would of course still be subject to approval by the File Shield and auto sandbox rules.   The point is that a white-listing app module would keep programs from installing and possibly running that the user doesn't even know have been installed on their computer.  More and more software updates come with third party apps that are part of the software install process and almost all computer users at one time or another fall victim to having software installed on their computer that they don't want installed.

I think this would be a great AV module for avast! to add.

« Last Edit: September 11, 2012, 04:42:04 PM by Nesivos »

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
Re: Application White Listing Module
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2012, 04:43:11 PM »
I thought it was avast!'s job to catch and block "bad guys" not programs some people don't like ???
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

hlecter

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2012, 04:55:51 PM »
I would like to see avast! add an application white-listing module.   This would differ from the sandbox modules in that it would give the user total control over which apps can be installed and run on their computer.   The sandbox feature is an avast! app control or avast! app suggested module.   However, it is possible that the sandbox module could let a program install without the user knowing about it.   Not only that but the program would not even run in the sandbox mode.

With an application whitelist module the user would have control over which apps can install and run on their computer, thus preventing any accidental installing and running of apps unknown to the user.   This would include apps that are part of software updates that users click through and unknowingly install some software they don't want like Google Chrome. (my apologies to Chrome users :))

All apps would be automatically prevented from installing and running unless the user specifically allows them to be.   A list of all white listed apps could be made available in the module as a convenient alternative way of see what apps are are installed on the user's computer.    Since apps are usually on a computer before avast is installed then during the avast! install process avast! would scan the computer for all apps.  It would then present the list of installed apps to the user for review.  During the avast! install process all apps presented for user review would be automatically white listed unless blacklisted by the user during the avast! install process.

If a user approves an app it would of course still be subject to approval by the File Shield and auto sandbox rules.   The point is that a white-listing app module would keep programs from installing and possibly running that the user doesn't even know have been installed on their computer.  More and more software updates come with third party apps that are part of the software install process and almost all computer users at one time or another fall victim to having software installed on their computer that they don't want installed.

I think this would be a great AV module for avast! to add.

IMO, a very good idea.
Whitelisting is the (only) way to go.

I think good, old Processguard did exactly this.
We have Faronics anti-executable (not free) based on this sound principle.

This would be a valuable addition to Avast!.

Offline Vladimyr

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Super(massive black hole) Poster
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2012, 05:27:15 PM »
When Donald Rumsfeld spoke of "unknown unknowns" he could just as easily have been talking about whitelisting. ;D

The idea of effortless & effective whitelisting of Windows applications, is akin to the idea of keeping one step ahead of so-called zero-day threats. These, along with consistently successful betting on horse races, will only be feasible after the widespread & economical availability of time travel.
There is a way that seems right to a man,
       but in the end it leads to death
.” - Proverbs 16:25