Author Topic: Separate Password for invoking AntiTheft using SMS commands  (Read 5490 times)

fins

Separate Password for invoking AntiTheft using SMS commands
« on: September 12, 2012, 08:59:02 PM »
Hi,

Currently the avast! AntiTheft is using only one password for accessing application and enabling/disabling the AntiTheft commands.

I strongly suggest to include one more password, only for enabling the AntiTheft commands, because, for example, if the thief is inserting the sim card in another mobile and if the user sends the AntiTheft SMS command like "12345 LOCATE", the thief will be able to see the password and will be able to unlock the phone.

So I suggest to include one more password for enabling the AntiTheft commands using SMS. This password is for enabling the AntiTheft commands only. So even if the thief gets the password using the above method, the phone cannot be unlocked.

To unlock the phone, user has to enter the master password.

Thanks,

Offline tcntad

• Avast Überevangelist
Re: Separate Password for invoking AntiTheft using SMS commands
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2012, 07:06:38 PM »
How will the thief see the stolen phone's password for AT???
Why would u set the same phone number to recieve info about the possible stolen phone?

Your phone gets stolen> you send an sms to the phone to locate it (1234 locate)>
AT recieves correct (Very important its correct!) password >
Your spare /friends phone recieves an OK from AT>
And it starts locating>
When location found its texted back to the spare/friends phone>
You can see where it is.

The stolen phone doesnt show anything, Its called HIDDEN!

fins

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2012, 08:52:55 PM »
First of all, sorry for my bad English.

I love avast!, and i use it on my laptop and android phone.
This is my little thought, and i am sharing it to make avast! more perfect security system.

The scenario which i mentioned in the first post is different.

Phone gets stolen> phone owner sends sms to lock the phone> 1234 lock> avast! anti theft locks the phone
Now the thief see the lock text message on the phone screen>anyway the thief is not going to return the phone !
Thief needs the password to unlock the phone> {idea !} thief removes the sim from the stolen phone and inserts in to his phone>
Phone owner sends another sms to the phone to locate it> 1234 locate> :P
Now thief gets the password on his phone and can unlock the stolen phone !

The above mentioned scenario may be a rare chance, but things can happen like this also !
If the thief replaces the sim, the whole effort by  the phone owner to secure his phone becomes useless !
This can be avoided if a separate password is used only to activate the anti theft using sms commands.
At least we can prevent the thief from accessing the phone data.

Please share your thoughts..

Offline tcntad

• Avast Überevangelist
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2012, 07:19:12 PM »

This is my little thought, and i am sharing it to make avast! more perfect security system.

Phone gets stolen> phone owner sends sms to lock the phone> 1234 lock> avast! anti theft locks the phone
Now the thief see the lock text message on the phone screen>anyway the thief is not going to return the phone !
Thief needs the password to unlock the phone> {idea !} thief removes the sim from the stolen phone and inserts in to his phone>

The above mentioned scenario may be a rare chance, but things can happen like this also !
If the thief replaces the sim, the whole effort by  the phone owner to secure his phone becomes useless !
This can be avoided if a separate password is used only to activate the anti theft using sms commands.

Now i understand your idea!
A good thougt as well. Lets hear what the developers has to say:)

reinhardholzner

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2012, 11:07:54 AM »
the thief will not be able to use your SIM in another phone because he needs to enter the PIN to use it.

fins

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2012, 08:23:50 PM »
the thief will not be able to use your SIM in another phone because he needs to enter the PIN to use it.

But how?
Once installed, does avast! AT locks the SIM too?
« Last Edit: September 21, 2012, 08:17:07 PM by Jofin »

Offline tcntad

• Avast Überevangelist
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2012, 04:24:53 PM »
Nope it doesnt i hope..

Im not using a code for the simcard, but for some it would be a good idea and i think reinhard is telling u to use it hehe.