Author Topic: Is it okay to use this with Avast  (Read 7390 times)

Offline midnight

• Massive Poster
Is it okay to use this with Avast
« on: September 12, 2012, 09:02:09 PM »
Malicious Software Removal Tool

The Microsoft Malicious Software Removal Tool is an anti-malware utility that checks computers running Windows 7, Windows Vista, Windows XP, Windows 2000, and Windows Server 2003 for infections by specific, prevalent malicious software—including Blaster, Sasser, and Mydoom—and helps remove malware and any other infections found.

When the detection and malware removal process is complete, the tool displays a report describing the outcome, including which, if any, malware was detected and removed.
New anti-malware additions

We have added detection and cleaning capabilities for the following malware:

Medfos

The Microsoft Malicious Software Removal Tool is an anti-malware utility that checks computers running Windows 7, Windows Vista, Windows XP, Windows 2000, and Windows Server 2003 for infections by specific, prevalent malicious software—including Blaster, Sasser, and Mydoom—and helps remove malware and any other infections found.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2012, 09:03:55 PM by -midnight »

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Is it okay to use this with Avast
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2012, 09:08:41 PM »
I never download it in the windows update as given my level of protection with avast (and other tools in my signature) that I run I wouldn't expect it to find anything.

I also find the list of malware that they give to be an absolute joke, if you have a recent OS from XP onwards that is fully up to date with security updates then these infections Blaster, Sasser, and Mydoom that use windows exploits are redundant. Not to mention the avast Network Shield monitors common exploit ports that these used.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline midnight

• Massive Poster
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2012, 09:19:37 PM »
Thanks for your prompt reply.  I have Windows 7 Sp1 Premium, and I use Bit Defender to check for Spyware/Malware and of course I have Avast.  Is that enough protection?

I won't be downloading the Malicious Software Removal Tool.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2012, 12:18:26 AM »
I don't know what bitdefender spyware/Malware does, so I can't really comment. I only though it was either the full antivirus application or the bitdefender traffic light browser add-on.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Aventador

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2012, 12:25:15 AM »
It is perfectly fine to use. Does not run in real time. You can download the portable version to use as an on demand scanner like MBAM,SAS and HMP.

http://www.microsoft.com/security/pc-security/malware-removal.aspx

Note there is a 32 and 64 bit versions.

http://www.downloadcrew.com/article/6559-microsoft_malicious_software_removal_tool

http://www.downloadcrew.com/article/6560-microsoft_malicious_software_removal_tool_64-bit

Offline midnight

• Massive Poster
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2012, 09:50:26 AM »
I don't know what bitdefender spyware/Malware does, so I can't really comment. I only though it was either the full antivirus application or the bitdefender traffic light browser add-on.

I just checked and it's Windows Defender, not Bitdefender. 
http://www.ehow.com/info_8357380_windows-defender.html?ref=Track2&utm_source=ask

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2012, 09:55:43 AM »

You can disable defender if you like as it's detection capabilities are rather poor plus you'll save some resources and avast has already got you covered in theses areas, if you want an extra scanner for second opinion then Malwarebytes is the best around.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2012, 09:57:57 AM by craigb »

Offline midnight

• Massive Poster
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2012, 10:01:21 AM »

You can disable defender if you like as it's detection capabilities are rather poor plus you'll save some resources and avast has already got you covered in theses areas, if you want an extra scanner for second opinion then Malwarebytes is the best around.

The free version of Avast has me covered?

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2012, 10:12:37 AM »

It has you covered in respect to anything that windows defender could offer you ( short answer is Defender is rubbish ) :)

Offline midnight

• Massive Poster
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2012, 10:33:05 AM »

It has you covered in respect to anything that windows defender could offer you ( short answer is Defender is rubbish ) :)

Guess I'll disable it.  What about Microsoft Safey Scanner?

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2012, 10:37:56 AM »

What about Microsoft Safey Scanner?
I wouldn't bother with it, plus it has to be re-downloaded every ten days to keep it updated.

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2012, 02:42:34 AM »
As mentioned previously avast with MalwareBytes as a secondary on demand scanner. With MBAM for an extra $25.00 you get real time protection. This is a one time charge for MBAM. MBAM is short for MalwareBytes Anti-Malware. The free version will serve you well. Just update before each scan.

http://filehippo.com/download_malwarebytes_anti_malware/  :)
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

Offline ajey

• Safe with avast! :)
    • Ajey's computer blog
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2012, 12:54:08 PM »
As our Forum friends said you can use that with avast! without problems.I use it sometimes.Runs well but doesn't find any virus because I have virus.
You can also go for Malwarebytes antimalware free which is a nice malware scanner and it also runs with avast!
Windows 10 | avast! premium security | https://ajeyscomputerblog.blogspot.com/