Author Topic: Avast pro no longer detected as virus protection by Windows 7  (Read 2729 times)

zigojacko

Avast pro no longer detected as virus protection by Windows 7
« on: September 13, 2012, 12:09:12 PM »
Since I renewed by Avast license (the app says my PC is secure), Windows 7 says that my computer is not protected and I have no virus protection installed. Tune up utilities is also reporting the same issue. Also, everytime I boot into Windows, the Avast welcome audio message of 'Welcome to Avast' plays - as if it thinks it is the first time Avast is being used.

There is clearly a bug with this somewhere - I've tried reinserting my license file but that made no difference.

Any ideas on what I can do to fix this?

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
Re: Avast pro no longer detected as virus protection by Windows 7
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2012, 12:15:01 PM »
Try a repair of avast via programs and features then reboot when completed, if that doesn't solve it then i would suggest a clean install by uninstalling avast normally then running the avast removal tool in safemode then reboot back to normal mode and re-install avast.

zigojacko

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2012, 12:40:54 PM »
Try a repair of avast via programs and features then reboot when completed, if that doesn't solve it then i would suggest a clean install by uninstalling avast normally then running the avast removal tool in safemode then reboot back to normal mode and re-install avast.

Thanks for your reply. Well I tried a repair program and reboot. This made no difference.

Will try a clean install - is the avast removal tool from safemode necessary? Thanks

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2012, 12:43:52 PM »
is the avast removal tool from safemode necessary? Thanks
Helps to remove any leftovers that may cause future problems.

zigojacko

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2012, 11:45:55 AM »
Hi Craig,

I finally managed to get round to using the Avast uninstaller and doing a clean reinstall and inserting my license key again afterwards and this has rectified the problem. Avast is now being detected by both Windows 7 and Tune Up as virus protection software. I've yet to test a restart to ensure I don't keep hearing the 'Welcome to Avast' message each time now but it looks like it should be okay.

Thanks for your help :)

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2012, 12:22:09 PM »
NP's :)