Author Topic: Avast icon missing in system tray  (Read 18893 times)

dld

Avast icon missing in system tray
« on: January 24, 2005, 03:39:55 AM »
I have just intalled Avast 4.5 on my laptop.  The Avast icon does not show up in the system tray.  What must I do to get this icon to show there?

The laptop automatically rebooted itself, and now the missing icons are in the system tray!!
« Last Edit: January 24, 2005, 03:51:47 AM by dld »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Avast icon missing in system tray
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2005, 12:58:52 PM »
I have just intalled Avast 4.5 on my laptop.  The Avast icon does not show up in the system tray.  What must I do to get this icon to show there?
The laptop automatically rebooted itself, and now the missing icons are in the system tray!!

You must have an entry for ashDisp.exe into your startup entries (Windows Registry).
Can you try to repair your installation?
Go to Control Panel > Add/Remove programs > avast! antivirus > Remove
Then choose Repair function in the popup window (Repair).
You must be connected to the internet while repairing.

If this does not help, can you uninstall / boot / install / boot again?

Do you have any other antivirus installed in your computer?
Did you have in the past? Which one?
The best things in life are free.

XH558

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2005, 02:50:54 PM »
Hi There.
if I may be able to jump on with this thread as they are related.
I hope you can help me please.
I have been using you're product for a while now, but lately I have noticed that the blue globe is missing from the tray, I have un-installed and re-installed the product a few times, I even got you're removal tool, then re-booted and re-installed again, all seems to be well, then on the next re-boot I have no avast icons in the tray again
any ideas as to why this is happening please.
I still have the blue avast icon on the desktop,and when I click on it it starts the scan etc, but no icon in the system tray,
this is very strange and I wondered if you knew why this was happening,and what I can do to fix it
many thanks
Steve.
PS I'm running Win XP Pro, SP2, and Webroot Spysweeper that I have been using since last year.
I have enjoyed using them BOTH for all this time with NO problems until now. this has only just started to occur, and yet I have the ash.dsp etc running in the Task Manager Window.
many thanks again Avast Team, you're products are way up there with the best payware available.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2005, 02:58:18 PM »
What other avast servises are running?

I have 4 ashdisp.exe, ashmaisv.exe, ashserv.exe and ashupdsv.exe.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2005, 03:21:28 PM »
I'm running Win XP Pro, SP2, and Webroot Spysweeper that I have been using since last year.

Can you check two things:

1) Isn't the icon hidden (should be a triangle icon to show hidden icons on XP)?
2) As I said, you must have an entry for ashDisp.exe into your startup entries (Windows Registry). I'm not sure if Webroot Spysweeper has or not a resident that avoid avast to add startup items... if so, can you disable it and repair avast installation through Control Panel?

XH558

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2005, 04:15:25 PM »
Technical,
you were spot on, many thanks again. I should have checked that in the first place, again, you were right about the Spysweeper thingie, I used the programs own settings to ignore / let avast start and run.
cheers, I owe you a nice long ice cold beer
Steve.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2005, 05:08:12 PM »
Cheers, I owe you a nice long ice cold beer

Steve, you can pay it trying to help the other users on the forum  :)

XH558

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2005, 07:23:08 PM »
Hi Technical,
oops, looks like I may have spoken too soon,
I have just found a file called lopdotcom in the spy sweeper scan, and it mentioned the location as hk local machine,current user, avast, in the registry identity.
does avast use any file at all with this name or association, and is there any such mention in the registry settings for avast, as I had to go into safe mode to get rid of the offending lopdotcom, and then after re-booting as normal, I now have no avast icon in the sys tray again.
do you have any ideas again.
thanks again
Steve,

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2005, 08:21:30 PM »
The location HK Local Machine is a registry entry not the file. This is what executes/runs the lopdotcom file.

So what was the filename and its location on the HDD, example (C:\windows\system32\infected-filename.xxx)?

Do a repair of avast again to try to restore the avast icon. It may be that Spy Sweeper is causing a false positive on an avast file (thinking it is lopdotcom spyware). We won't know that unless you let us know the filename, run spy sweeper after avast install and see if it picks up the lopdotcom again, then identify the file and location (hdd location) given in the registry entry.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

dld

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2005, 08:25:11 PM »
Thanks for the response Technical.  You probably hadn't noticed the edit on my post.  The computer rebooted itself about 20 minutes after the initial install and the icons now show up in the system tray.  I don't think there's any need for repairs.

XH558

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2005, 10:35:07 PM »
Hi Guy's.
here's some more of the offending details, I have made spysweeper keep the lopdotcom item for now, I have been in touch with webroot, who told me to re-boot into safe mode, after disconnecting my router, then turning off the memory scan setting, so that it can scan the memory thoroughly etc,
then after running the scan it gets rid of the lopdotcom item, then after re-booting everything is back to normal, minus my avast icon in the system tray, so this time before a re-install of avast I turned off spysweeper and ran the avast set-up, then re-booted, then started spysweeper and it put avast in the menu of things to allow,
so thats ok for now, but I still wonder about this lopdotcom thing, and why it is that every time I remove it my avast tray icon disappears.
thanks guy's
Steve.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2005, 11:05:40 PM »
This is a false positive (or so it appears) by Spy Sweeper, avast has nothing to do with lop.com. If you read the information in the image (changes your default search engine pages and more), that plus the replaces shortcuts, etc. If there is none of that type of activity, that would also indicate a false positive.

I think that you should report this to spy sweeper as a probable false positive, attaching full details of the report.

Every time you remove the registry key that runs avast, no avast icon on start-up.

mako50

« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2005, 11:19:34 PM »
Hi Folks ive had this probb here with that lopdotcom but not anymore l got rid of spysweeper and put adaware personal on everything is working very well here now..

cheers steve

XH558

« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2005, 12:27:50 AM »
thank's for the suggestions and great help guy's,
and David, yes I have just sent the same screen shot off to the technical people at Webroot along with the link to this page so that they can read exactly whats been happening.
thanks again all
Steve,

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2005, 01:18:14 PM »
Thanks for sending the info of to Spy Sweeper (it will help many avast users, who also use Spy Sweeper), hopefully Spy Sweeper will get on to it quickly.