Author Topic: Custom settings lost  (Read 5314 times)

BuonAngolo

Custom settings lost
« on: January 24, 2005, 12:39:30 PM »
Hi all.

On my Avast4.5Pro, installed on a WixXPProSP2 system, I always get warning popups when viruses are found during Outlook2003 mail reception.
I receive few viruses per week, but I'd like to stop the warnings, anyway, to let me work and check email later.
I tried to customize settings on "Outlook/Exchange" provider, but the sensibility slider immediately returns to "High", instead of "Customized", as soon as I close and open again Avast settings window.
So, even if I properly checked "Silent Mode" both on Outlook/Exchange and InternetMail providers, popups still appear.
What am I doing wrong??

Thanks

Alberto

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: Custom settings lost
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2005, 01:03:01 PM »
I receive few viruses per week, but I'd like to stop the warnings, anyway, to let me work and check email later.
1] When you check the mail is defined in your email client, not in Avast.
2] Set Avast to run in "silent mode". That will stop showing the messages.

There is another thread here which explains what you can try to do when the settings automaticly changes back.
See if you can find it either by browsing the board or using the search option.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2005, 01:18:45 PM »
There is another thread here which explains what you can try to do when the settings automaticly changes back.

Yes, it's the FAQ on my signature...  ;)
The best things in life are free.

BuonAngolo

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2005, 06:22:18 PM »
1] When you check the mail is defined in your email client, not in Avast.
2] Set Avast to run in "silent mode". That will stop showing the messages.

See if you can find it either by browsing the board or using the search option.

Of course I know that scheduling of email checking is set in Outllok. What I was meaning was: "When a new email is received, just a little icon in the traybar, and a system beep, is enough. But Avast popup comes in focus while I'm working on an Autocad drawing, stopping my work".

Regarding settings saving, this is definitely not possible, because when I set the slider on 'Customized', if I click on InternetMail provider and back on Outlook/Exchange, the slider is already on "High", and my custom settings have already been lost.
Anyway, I tried the tip on the Faq (i.e. killing the protection and rebooting), but the settings are still on "High", instead of "Customized".

Bye

Alberto

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2005, 06:43:40 PM »
There is a likelihood that the changes that you are making are covered by the High setting so that it reverts to the High level.

What customisations are you trying to make, that are not sticking?

From memory the only changes would be in Heuristics, setting the level in there to Custom changes my overall Internet Mail setting to Custom and that sticks. I no longer have the Outlook/Exchange provider but I thing this is the same, you must set Heuristics to Custom.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2005, 01:30:28 PM »
So, even if I properly checked "Silent Mode" both on Outlook/Exchange and InternetMail providers, popups still appear.

Alberto, can you check 'Settings' in my signature and browse for the value ShowVirusTag.
Did you uncheck the option 'Show detailed information about the action performed' into the Advanced tab of the settings?
You can't handle it more in Home version... Only Professional version has automated and fully silent actions when a virus is found  :-\
The best things in life are free.

BuonAngolo

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2005, 04:25:16 PM »
There is a likelihood that the changes that you are making are covered by the High setting so that it reverts to the High level.

What customisations are you trying to make, that are not sticking?

"Silent Mode" is not a default setting for 'High' protection.
This is the customization I'm trying to make.

Bye

Alberto

BuonAngolo

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2005, 04:26:53 PM »
[Alberto, can you check 'Settings' in my signature and browse for the value ShowVirusTag.
Did you uncheck the option 'Show detailed information about the action performed' into the Advanced tab of the settings?
You can't handle it more in Home version... Only Professional version has automated and fully silent actions when a virus is found  :-\

I unchecked "detailed information about action performed" in the advanced tab.
Now I checked it, and I'll see when a virsu will be found.

I'm working on Pro version.

Thanks

Alberto