Author Topic: Root Install Problems  (Read 11254 times)

REDACTED

Root Install Problems
« on: September 30, 2012, 12:32:36 AM »
I seem to be having a problem... I installed avast on a rooted phone and thought I installed anti-theft with root permissions, but when I go into the anti-theft settings all the rooted settings are still greyed out. I tried an uninstall and re-install but that didn't change anything. So, how do I properly do a rooted install?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Root Install Problems
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2012, 11:27:49 PM »
You need to configure anti-theft (giving your name, PIN, friends number, etc.) and be able to start (enable) anti-theft.
Then the other settings should be available.
Am I reading wrong what you've posted?
The best things in life are free.

reinhardholzner

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2012, 02:11:34 PM »
i think the problem is a different one. it is not enough to just install Anti-Theft on a rooted phone. you'll need to specify in setup -> Advanced Mode -> install rooted in order to use the functions.

REDACTED

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2012, 09:46:06 PM »
I did do that... I uninstalled the whole thing, according to the directions in the guide.  I then reinstalled the whole thing again but it didn't give me the option of advanced install and so it installed without any options again...

How do I get it to give me the option of an advanced install?

reinhardholzner

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2012, 09:46:48 AM »
hm maybe you are still running on an old avast! Mobile Security version? Try to upgrade on market and perform install again.

zbskrn

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2012, 06:16:10 PM »
hi I have a rooted galaxy S3 and in experiencing the same problem. I installed avast anti-theft but it will not give me any of the advanced options. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling without success. When I go to  settings, anti-theft, system state root installation is no. How do I change this.

Thank you

Zb Kornecki

model sgh-i747
android version 4.0.4
kernel version 3.0.8-599060-user
« Last Edit: October 12, 2012, 06:35:29 PM by zbskrn »

reinhardholzner

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2012, 01:48:23 PM »
you need to choose "advanced installation" during installation of Anti-Theft, and there choose rooted installation. Did you do that?

avast_anti-theft

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2012, 04:50:39 AM »
Please visit the link below for step by step instructions for installing root version of avast anti-theft.

http://mobunite.com/index.php/topic,5.0.html
« Last Edit: August 24, 2013, 10:22:46 AM by avast_anti-theft »

MikZ

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2013, 05:59:32 AM »
That link is broken. Do you have an update, please, or better yet, correct instructions? There is no 'advanced installation' option when I uninstall and reinstall Avast Mobile Security & Antitheft. It just installs like any other Android app.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2013, 12:18:26 PM »
There is no 'advanced installation' option when I uninstall and reinstall Avast Mobile Security & Antitheft. It just installs like any other Android app.
Is your device rooted?
The best things in life are free.

Offline Werner

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2013, 11:08:11 AM »
Hello,

I suppose you tried to install rooted by installing "Update Agent" from Google Play.
Instead you should open Mobile Security and select "Anti-Theft (install)".
Now you'll find the "advanced installation" option, which will offer you a rooted installation.

To avoid this problem we specifically instruct our users not to install Upate Agent (=Anti-Theft) from google play directly:
Do not install this without being sent here from avast! Mobile Security first.

have a nice day,
Werner

bocin

« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2013, 04:27:27 PM »
Werner, there is no such instruction on Google Play Anti-Theft anymore.
I can see that Avast tries to make Anti-Theft as a stand-alone app. That's a nice step forward as I don't want whole Mobile Security package in order to get the Anti-Theft feature. But there is a little work to make it better.

First time I couldn't find a way of getting root install of Anti-Theft as I installed it directly from Google Play (without Mobile Security). It took me quite some time to figure it out - so for the others - there is a button "Root mode" at the top of Advanced Settings. It redirects you to Google Play for "Anti-Theft (rooted)", here is the link - https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.avast.android.antitheft_setup. But more information about this option for users would be feasible.

The BFU approach is:
1. Having the phone rooted, BFU installs Anti-Theft from Google Play (not rooted version). In Advanced Settings, the root options are greyed out.
2. In Help -> Settings, there is many times "If you installed Anti-Theft rooted, ..." but not a single sentence about how to install it rooted.
3. In Help -> Stealth mode I read "If you installed Anti-Theft rooted, it is also easy to remove Anti-Theft. Start up avast! Mobile Security, and go to Settings, ...". Oh, so there is at least a hint. I don't know how to install it rooted but at least I know that for uninstall I need Mobile Security.
4. Help -> F.A.Q. redirects me to avast! Mobile Security FAQ web page. Which I don't have installed in first place. And there is no valuable info for this case anyway.

So what would be nice is:
1. To have in description of Anti-Theft on Google Play link to the rooted version.
2. Update the Help section to mention possibilities of how to get the rooted installation.