It looks like your upgrade/installation was corrupt.
- Download the latest version of avast Internet Security, 7.0.1466 http://files.avast.com/iavs5x/avast_internet_security_setup.exe
and save it to your HDD, somewhere you can find it again (if you didn't save your last download). Use that when you reinstall.
- Download the avast! Uninstall Utility, aswClear.exe find it here
and save it to your HDD (it has uninstall tools for 5.x, 6.0.x and 7.0.x).
- 1. Now uninstall avast! (using add remove programs, if you can't do that start from the next step), reboot.
- 2. run the avast! Uninstall Utility from safe mode, first for 6.x if previously installed and then for 7.0, once complete reboot into normal mode.
- 3. install the latest version, reboot.
Note: The default install location for avast is C:\Program Files\AVAST Software\Avast.
Programs & Features, Uninstall/Change