Author Topic: Avast - PC Tools Firewall Interaction  (Read 3660 times)

RF

Avast - PC Tools Firewall Interaction
« on: October 24, 2012, 04:47:38 AM »
Hi, I recently upgraded to Windows 7 Pro 32-bit on a second computer where the A/V and the firewall had to be installed from scratch (by me), and I'm having a problem with the way Avast and the the firewall are interacting. I'm using Avast Free v.7.0.1466, and PC Tools Firewall Plus, v.7.0.0.123. There is no other A/V or firewall running on the computer.

Whether the updates are automatic or manual, I'm always getting a "create a rule" message, so I do that to allow the update, but most times when I update, or when the program does it automatically, the message reoccurs. In the section where the applications are listed, I've checked "Allow All" for In & Out for all Avast applications. Any suggestions?

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
Re: Avast - PC Tools Firewall Interaction
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2012, 06:58:23 AM »
As Symantec have now ceased support of PC Tools firewall it may be better for you to move to another firewall rather than try to troubleshoot an unsupported one, you can use the free outpost suite in a custom install with all features removed bar the firewall or there is also Online Armor.

I'd also suggest for you to update to the latest avast version 7.0.1473 which you'll find here http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=107531.0 or you can also update via your UI through the maintenance tab

RF

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2012, 03:52:17 PM »
I've used Kerio Personal Firewall on my XP machine forever and I'm still standing.

Any replies that  will address the problem here?

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2012, 05:19:51 PM »
I've used Kerio Personal Firewall on my XP machine forever and I'm still standing.

Any replies that  will address the problem here?
An answer to your problem was already given, the problem is with your firewall so either change it to a better one or see if your able to get Symantec to troublshoot the firewall they no longer wish to support ::) ( fat chance ) which is why i said it's no use using unsupported software as you'll recieve no help when it craps out.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2012, 05:28:54 PM by craigb »

RF

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2012, 09:36:09 PM »
Thanks Uberevangelist, your sermon has been invaluable.

Offline Tomaso

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2012, 10:56:15 PM »
I'm running PC Tools Firewall Plus v7.0.0.123 under WinXP/SP3, and I don't have this problem with avast!

Of course, since we're not using the same OS, you might run into different problems than me, but I think perhaps you're running the firewall with paranoid settings..

The program's default "Enhanced Security Permissions" setting (under Settings > Filtering) is overkill, and should be changed to avoid a bunch of unnecessary prompts resulting in decreased system performance.
To disable this paranoid setting, set the slider to "Low"
(Don't disable Application Filtering and Packet Filtering.
"Automatically allow known applications" [under Settings > General] should NOT be enabled either).
Even after reconfiguring the firewall like this, it will still achieve a perfect "TruStealth" rating at grc.com:

timcan

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2012, 12:13:14 AM »
Hi, I recently upgraded to Windows 7 Pro 32-bit on a second computer where the A/V and the firewall had to be installed from scratch (by me), and I'm having a problem with the way Avast and the the firewall are interacting. I'm using Avast Free v.7.0.1466, and PC Tools Firewall Plus, v.7.0.0.123. There is no other A/V or firewall running on the computer.

Whether the updates are automatic or manual, I'm always getting a "create a rule" message, so I do that to allow the update, but most times when I update, or when the program does it automatically, the message reoccurs. In the section where the applications are listed, I've checked "Allow All" for In & Out for all Avast applications. Any suggestions?

Hi, jmo there is possibly a 'bug' in the way pctools handles the update process in win 7.
The firewall or process monitor (whichever) sees avast.setup each time an update is done as changed.
This was a known issue with the Privatefirewall for a while but I believe that has been corrected. Hope this helps. :)

RF

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2012, 04:50:36 AM »
Tomaso - thanks for that information. I set the slider to "Low", and I did get one Make-a-Rule pop up initially, but after six widely spaced update attempts, there has been no firewall interference, which is far different than what had been happening. I changed the setting to "Medium" and so far that setting has not been a problem as well.

Probably not a large enough sample to draw definitive conclusions, but my suspicion here is that you nailed it.
RF

Update - the problem is fixed. Tomaso, thanks for posting the solution.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2012, 08:16:52 PM by RF »