Author Topic: antivirus scan  (Read 6067 times)

mangyan

antivirus scan
« on: September 08, 2003, 11:04:31 PM »
hello,

Just a concern. Why can avst4 home scan password protected files? ???. A routine scan of my norton files, specifically clean sweep resulted in this. Norton antivirus has been disabled since I installed avast. My concern is...what if avirus file is password protected?

thank you. glik?

mangyan

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
Re:antivirus scan
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2003, 11:24:02 PM »
Sorry, I don't quite understand your question. What password protected files are you talking about?

And the concern is that avast does or does not scan these files?

Thanks
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

whocares

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2003, 11:07:05 AM »
what if avirus file is password protected?

Hi,

then it can't be unpacked/executed until you enter the password.
and after entering the password, Avast scanner/resident Shield WILL pick up any infections, so it's quite safe..

it's imho not possible/pointless to AV-scan pwd-protected files..

;)

mangyan

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2003, 03:27:06 PM »
hi there again,

Well Vlk I think it was not able to scan it as the message box had about a couple dozen messages saying it was not able to scan them as they were password protected, maybe by the application itself (norton cleansweep) just the same Dik!

Whocares ,that was really stupid of me :-[ :-X yup who would come up with a password protected virus :P.  So oneshouldnotcare.

Thanks, Dik, salamat

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2003, 03:59:18 PM »
As far as I remember, Norton Cleansweep really has some information stored in a password protected ZIP file (don't know exactly what it was... database of uninstallation information for common applications or something like that).

Hornus Continuum

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2003, 06:52:22 AM »
I've seen this too.  avast! reports "[E] Archive is password protected. (42056)" when scanning clnsweep.cfg.  When I saw this, I just assumed that the problem was caused by the use of a proprietary format that fooled the scanner into parsing it like a supported archive.  However, I just opened this file with WinZip 8.1 SR-1 with no trouble; therefore, the archive is not password protected, and it doesn't have a proprietary format.  It does contain files with odd names, however, like *.ocx+ and *.exe+.

Regards,
Hornus

Offline raman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2003, 08:25:44 AM »
supported archive.  However, I just opened this file with WinZip 8.1 SR-1

Normaly Cleansweep  has Passwordprotected Zip-files( The older one at least) Are you able to unpack the files? Opening is no problem-
MfG Ralf

Hornus Continuum

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2003, 08:58:47 AM »
My bad.  It never occurred to me to try to extract a file, so I did and was immediately prompted for a password.  I clicked on the Help button and read the display.  It turns out the plus signs indicate password protected files.  It seems to me that in the olden days of DOS and pkzip, that I couldn't even open a protected archive without specifying a password.  Anyway, ignorance is no excuse.  Thanks for setting me straight.

Hornus
« Last Edit: September 15, 2003, 08:59:47 AM by Hornus Continuum »