Author Topic: avast! plus net = catastropic result !  (Read 2909 times)

mindravenous

avast! plus net = catastropic result !
« on: October 31, 2012, 09:32:07 PM »
Hello - Yesterday I had to re-install Vista Home Premium; I installed IE8,  then Google Toolbar, then I installed avast! free and Spybot S&D. I didn't reboot there and then, (should have) but everything was working perfectly ! Spent several hours on it personalising etc. Then this morning nothing worked properly at all. Couldn't open docs, windows, start menu, or when I could it took over 5 mins but then I couldn't close anything, or use anything; couldn't get Task Manager or Ctrl+Alt+Delete either. Got a BSOD a few times too, one blue, 3 black, and a white one ! that one was when I tried to suspend avast! Had to unplug about 7 times before I realised it was a problem with avast!, first clue was that avast! wouldn't suspend. Then I found out that it was ONLY when I was connected to the net, either wifi or cable, that nothing worked. When not connected, or when in Safe Mode, everything was working fine again. Once I uninstalled avast! everything was fine ,no problems at all, even when connected to net.
I've been using avast! free for years, for 6 years on this very laptop with same OS, and I've never had a problem like this before ! Can anyone suggest anything ? I would like to continue using avast! but now I have no anti-virus, and I will have to download something else - I don't want to, but I need to be able to work, so would be very grateful to know if anyone else has had this problem. if you have any ideas about what might the problem be, or suggestions on how I can still use avast! free, please let me know. Thank you for reading.

Offline Charyb-0

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
Re: avast! plus net = catastropic result !
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2012, 09:55:45 PM »
avast! and Spybot S&D have compatibility issues. Uninstall Spybot and your problems should go away.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2012, 11:29:21 AM »
avast! and Spybot S&D have compatibility issues.
Can you elaborate? I want to learn.
The best things in life are free.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2012, 12:04:23 PM »
avast! and Spybot S&D have compatibility issues.
Can you elaborate? I want to learn.
there have been many posts here with avast and spybot teatimer issues