Author Topic: receiving emails  (Read 4760 times)

shirl13

receiving emails
« on: February 03, 2005, 06:29:34 PM »
Hi, help I'm totally thick.  I downloaded AVAST yesterday.  When I logged on today it did various virus checks and then I kept getting email download errors.  I have checked settings and changed them back to what they were except on my own and another one that won't let me change settings for log on using - it says (pop3) 127.0.01 and (smtp)127.0.0.1 - I don't know were these settings came from but they are not my normal ones.  As I said on the other users I can select these fields and changed them back to what they were but I can't on my address and this other one.  HELP please.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: receiving emails
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2005, 06:40:48 PM »
I assume that you are using win98, ME or lower. In order for avast to scan your email before they are in your inbox avast must intercept them. It does this using the 127.0.01 you see in your account settings.

What OS are you using? What email program are you using?

So you need these settings, exactly what errors are you getting? The more information you can give us the easier it is to help.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

shirl13

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2005, 06:46:51 PM »
Hi again.  I'm using windows98 and outlook express.

When I changed all the other email addresses back to pop3.freeserve.com and smtp.freeserve.com they all work but as I said mine and another can't be changed.

It fails the mail download.

Why can't I change these two?

Thanks

Shirley

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2005, 06:53:45 PM »
Yes they will, but they won't be being protected by avast.

Why can't they be changed? Is there an error message ??? avast doesn't stop you changing email account settings!

By your other accounts are you talking about sending, if so have you ticked my server needs authentication, etc. ? are they webbased email accounts, such as hotmail?

Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

shirl13

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2005, 09:35:29 AM »
When I went in to check settings the ones for pop3 and smtp were not highlighted so therefore could not be selected to change.

On our computer we have 5 email addresses and and fsnet.co.uk and freeserve.co.uk the addresses for my sons and husband work but mine doesn't and neither does the fsnet.co.uk (which is our default).  I tried to send a mail to support on my adddress but it would not let me.

I logged on this morning and it wouldn't even let me select anything on the screen so I had to restart the computer and switch off avast to get things running.

I think I may be better off deleting avast and not bothering.

Thanks for your help David

Shirley

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2005, 03:04:53 PM »
Bath swatter and Baby come to mind.

I have 8 accounts in OE6 and I have no problem accessing account details none are greyed out. I think that you have a problem with OE which is somehow blocking changes.

You could try running the Mail Protection Wizard again and remove protection to all accounts and see if that restores the settings, then run it again and select protect all accounts including future/new accounts (not sure of the wording WinXP doesn't require the MPW).