Author Topic: AV-comparatives we are back in the game!!! [October 2012]  (Read 6226 times)

true indian

AV-comparatives we are back in the game!!! [October 2012]
« on: November 09, 2012, 03:41:23 PM »
http://chart.av-comparatives.org/chart2.php

8)

go avast!!! if this result remains constant or gets better for next 2 months..we will come ahead towards the top  ;D
« Last Edit: November 09, 2012, 03:47:07 PM by true indian »

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
Re: AV-comparatives we are back in the game!!! [October 2012]
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2012, 04:16:33 PM »
Can someone from avast! team post what were the user dependent detections? I mean, what kind were they? File Reputation warning? Heuristic/Behavioral detection or a detection inside Auto Sandbox? I'm really curious to know what type were they...
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

Offline Charyb-0

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2012, 08:09:43 PM »
Is it strange to anyone how Symantec will allow PC Tools to be tested but won't agree with the testing using Norton? They don't want to see their flagship consumer product get beat in these tests.

Avast is getting better. I also would like to know what the user dependent decisions are.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2012, 08:13:59 PM by Charyb »

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2012, 09:58:19 PM »
No sign of M S E either in the tests
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Dwarden

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Ideas, that's ocean without borders!
    • Bohemia Interactive
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2012, 11:22:42 PM »
while it's nice to see improvement, i would like to point that Trend scored twice already 100% and Bitderender now has 100% too

so i guess there starting to be some leap ahead by these companies
https://twitter.com/FoltynD , Tech. Community, Online Services & Distribution manager of Bohemia Interactive

Aventador

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2012, 12:19:20 AM »
It is against AVC policy to be posting the screen shot.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2012, 12:42:02 AM »
Avast is getting better. I also would like to know what the user dependent decisions are.
What is BitDefender doing that better... It's always at the top... Can't we learn anything? Is that "only" hard work?
The best things in life are free.

Aventador

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2012, 01:42:12 AM »
I used BD for a couple of months. I got a license for only $6. Its a great av but can be heavy at times. What Avast needs to work on is the user interaction. BD does EVERYTHING on its own.

true indian

« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2012, 06:42:26 AM »
I used BD for a couple of months. I got a license for only $6. Its a great av but can be heavy at times. What Avast needs to work on is the user interaction. BD does EVERYTHING on its own.

Avast is improving...from last month we have improved...last month we had a lot user dependent...but this month we lowered the user dependency as to what AV-C report signifies...For me,my clients now days hardly even care...they click the close button of the SB pop up and they hardy even care..they also have no problems hitting abort connection for low reputation downloads. ;D

Also,I have noticed that the sandbox analysis works lately..its began to work well  ;)

What is BitDefender doing that better... It's always at the top... Can't we learn anything? Is that "only" hard work?

Tested BD many times..its all their cloud blocking my malware links...it cant detect sh*t without its cloud in my experience  :o
« Last Edit: November 10, 2012, 06:45:59 AM by true indian »

Offline ajey

• Safe with avast! :)
    • Ajey's computer blog
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2012, 08:27:17 AM »
Yeah that's nice to hear avast! come go beat others and protect us better :)  ;)
Windows 10 | avast! premium security | https://ajeyscomputerblog.blogspot.com/

true indian

« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2012, 09:25:49 AM »
Yeah that's nice to hear avast! come go beat others and protect us better :)  ;)

AV-C or any other testing organizations cannot replicate real life usage where the infection follows a chain of malicious JS/PDF>>Malicious website>>malicious files...In such cases,avast is A+ with detecting malicious JS/PDF and malicious sites etc  8)

More ever,AV-C has no proof of what they actually tested...and hence we dont know what happens in the background  ;)

Its also funny in the way that AV-C or any other testing organizations show always the big dogs as top performers...malware changes daily and every AV has its bad days..so even the big dogs fall down..and its funny in these tests they are always pushed forward...something fishy indeed.  8)

Dont forget these statements given earlier by avast! team

The testing is getting more and more problematic. And on each AV conference there are multiple papers about how to do proper testing (not that I think that all of them make sense  8))

I have objections against all AV-Comparatives tests performed, also the Av-Test, but those are less 'documented', so it's hard to tell where the deficiencies lie.

The usual points about static testing are:
a) the tests are carried long after the real infection took place, so it's kind of useless from today's point of view
b) the tests are carried without any context state information. Such information - if there is file named "document.doc   .exe" in email, this is enough to ban the execution
c) the tests are carried only with the signature engines - they don't test the other generic protection engines the products may have
d) the tests don't know anything about the relationship of the samples. If you detect the dropper, you don't have to detect the dropped binary.
e) the tests are too binary-centric and have only small amount of script/pdf/flash malware, althought these are one of the main vectors of getting thru to your computer.
f) there is little of no info on how the testbeds are created. All these 99.1% and such scores are complete nonsense from my point of view. The overlap of the product's detections is not as great as clementi/marx tests suggest.

This is not an excuse, that's an explanation what your really should read from the static tests. Yep, it's nice to be on the first places, but the world does not end if you're not there.
Regarding the pro-active test, this is the most flawed test of them all. It does _NOT_ test the ability of the product to protect you from the unknown malware. It tests the ability of the signature engines to detect the samples Av-Comparatives got in the test's timeframe. For example, what if the engine authors already had the samples and wrote the detections and Av-Comparatives added them later? We're back again in the 'testedbed construction' problem.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2012, 09:31:05 AM by true indian »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2012, 11:57:43 AM »
Clouding detection? So what? If it gives 100 per cent...

true indian

« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2012, 12:03:53 PM »
Clouding detection? So what? If it gives 100 per cent...

what about many users who hardly come online?? like many people here in india  ???

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2012, 12:40:12 PM »
If you're not online, most probably you won't get infected. Infected.
By the way, WHAT THE HELL THEY GOT USER INTERACTION?
I never can get any...

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2012, 12:52:03 PM »
If you're not online, most probably you won't get infected. Infected.
<snip>

How do you think that those who haven't got Internet, get programs, USB/CD/DVD, etc. That still needs to be covered as do the programs as they are installed.

However, the important part of true indian's post "what about many users who hardly come online" so they still require full protection.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2012, 12:53:40 PM by DavidR »
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security