Author Topic: When was the behavior shield introduced?  (Read 3207 times)

Sahri

When was the behavior shield introduced?
« on: November 15, 2012, 05:07:04 PM »
I was wondering this because I think it's responsible for the BSODs I've been getting with a game that uses Gameguard.

Offline mikaelrask

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
Re: When was the behavior shield introduced?
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2012, 05:18:54 PM »
hey and welcome to the forum. the behavior shield was introduced in version 5 and have been improved during 6 and 7. what trouble do you have with the behavior shield? and what game are you playing that uses gameguard?
Windows 8.1 amd a10-5700 64 bit
12 GB ram 1 tb hard drive. Avast 18, MBAM

Sahri

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2012, 07:25:06 PM »
The game is called Dragonica and whenever I try to run the game, I get a BSOD with the following info:

On Fri 26-10-2012 23:06:44 your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\102612-19172-01.dmp
uptime: 01:14:18
This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x7EFC0)
Bugcheck code: 0xF4 (0x3, 0xFFFFFA8005792580, 0xFFFFFA8005792860, 0xFFFFF80003186460)
Error: CRITICAL_OBJECT_TERMINATION
file path: C:\Windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: NT Kernel & System
Bug check description: This indicates that a process or thread crucial to system operation has unexpectedly exited or been terminated.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver which cannot be identified at this time.

I've also gotten this message a few times:

crash dump file: C:\Windows\memory.dmp
uptime: 01:14:18
This was probably caused by the following module: ntkrnlmp.exe (nt!KeBugCheckEx+0x0)
Bugcheck code: 0xF4 (0x3, 0xFFFFFA8005792580, 0xFFFFFA8005792860, 0xFFFFF80003186460)
Error: CRITICAL_OBJECT_TERMINATION
Bug check description: This indicates that a process or thread crucial to system operation has unexpectedly exited or been terminated.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver which cannot be identified at this time.

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2012, 08:39:47 PM »
hey and welcome to the forum. the behavior shield was introduced in version 5 and have been improved during 6 and 7. what trouble do you have with the behavior shield? and what game are you playing that uses gameguard?

I'd cross out the "improved" part. To me it seems like it does absolutelly nothing ever since it was introduced.
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2012, 09:50:30 PM »
I'd cross out the "improved" part. To me it seems like it does absolutelly nothing ever since it was introduced.
RejZoR, it was said a lot of times that it works internally in cooperation with other shields.
It could be improved. It should be improved. It is not agressive while proactive.
But you can't continue repeating "it does absolutely" nothing". Vlk and Igor have answered this a lot of times.
Please, review the complains... I'm getting tired as they're going nowhere...
The best things in life are free.

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2012, 10:06:52 PM »
They have answered it that it does some "magic" while i haven't EVER seen it do poop either standalone or in cooperation with any other shield. I don't care what kind of help they get from it internally in their labs, what i know is that end user doesn't have anything from it at the moment when user needs protection. And thats the whole point of the behavior blockers. They don't exist so they submit the sample which maybe gets processed and added to the defs someday, they exist to block malware right now, this very moment. On anyones PC.
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog