Author Topic: Is it a security breach?  (Read 2884 times)

Jurkeen

Is it a security breach?
« on: November 17, 2012, 09:46:58 AM »
I have a question regarding SMS messsaging to the phone protected by avast! Anti-Theft.

According to docs, all control SMS to my phone should begin with the lock code (2222 as an example). Then imagine that a thief obtained my phone, took my sim-card and put it to his other phone - on purpose. Now I think that my phone is lost and send an SMS from my friend's registered phone to locate my lost phone. This SMS comes to the thief's phone and he will see my protection code! After that it is easy for him to remove avast! software, isn't it?

I would suggest not to use PIN as a prefix for SMS. Special word like AVAST and originating (registered) phone should be enough.

Thanks,
Yury

reinhardholzner

Re: Is it a security breach?
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2012, 12:29:05 PM »
actually the thief is not able to put your SIM into another phone as he needs the SIM PIN code to use it - in any way you should protect your SIM by PIN.

Jurkeen

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2012, 11:35:39 PM »
I would not base avast! security on someone else's actions. Remembering two PINs is much harder than one.

And I don't see a reason to do this - if the friend's phone is registered, why bother with PIN in the SMS? Or, if you want the pin, let sms pin be different (or even a word) that can be seen on the site.

Offline tcntad

• Avast Überevangelist
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2012, 10:13:19 PM »
I have a question regarding SMS messsaging to the phone protected by avast! Anti-Theft.

According to docs, all control SMS to my phone should begin with the lock code (2222 as an example). Then imagine that a thief obtained my phone, took my sim-card and put it to his other phone - on purpose. Now I think that my phone is lost and send an SMS from my friend's registered phone to locate my lost phone. This SMS comes to the thief's phone and he will see my protection code! After that it is easy for him to remove avast! software, isn't it?

I would suggest not to use PIN as a prefix for SMS. Special word like AVAST and originating (registered) phone should be enough.

Thanks,
Yury

This was asked before...
He would havet to know that AT is installed... Why wouldhe take your sim and use it on his phone?