Author Topic: Malware and VPS updates!  (Read 11286 times)

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
Malware and VPS updates!
« on: February 11, 2005, 12:16:41 PM »
It's nice that you keep antivirus full of features and nice interface,but you're forgeting about most important things. I have sent several samples and they still haven't been added.
Rare updates through week (2 updates are really not enough IMO),small number of added files(connected with rare updates). No malware isn't that non-importnat that it shouldn't be added. AntiVir has definitions 2,4MB in size and they update them every day. With your incrimental update system daily updates shouldn't be a problem.
I have also seen AVG scoring better than avast! lately. Thats not a good sign trust me.

I'm really dissapointed with what i see for the last few weeks and i good for you i hope you will reconsider my words and fix this ASAP.
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

Offline rdsu

• Avast Evangelist
  • Poster
Re: Malware and VPS updates!
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2005, 12:39:01 PM »
I already said this a lot of times...
Avast Free Antivirus: Web Shield & Home Network Security.

lee16

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2005, 02:51:08 PM »
I think their mainly concentrating on the new avast BETA at the moment, so it seems logical that updates would become less frequent considering its quite a small company. IMHO

-lee

Omar

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2005, 02:54:00 PM »
I think their mainly concentrating on the new avast BETA at the moment, so it seems logical that updates would become less frequent considering its quite a small company. IMHO

-lee

what is the new avast BETA? What will it be like?

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2005, 02:57:22 PM »
what is the new avast BETA? What will it be like?
Why asking when you can have a look at it yourself?
Look at the BETA section on this board.

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2005, 02:58:35 PM »

-lee

I doubt virus analysts are working on interface and graphics don't you think?
Thats not the excuse i'm willing to take...

toadbee

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2005, 02:58:52 PM »
Well if you want 2.4 meg updates - Avast! could remove incremental updating  :o
2.4 meg updates is why i quit using Antivir - i.e. Antivir replaces all defs with each update - making that the most inefficient
and antiquated updater known to mankind.

Also - realize that as far as I know Antivir still does not support runtime unpackers (upx etc.) So where Antivir may have to release a signature for each new runtime packed "virusx" - Avast! may not have to.

My point - you are not comparing apples to apples  ;)

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2005, 03:16:04 PM »
I just mentioned if AntiVir can release daily updates with such big definitions size why avast! couldn't with defs just few KBs in size?
And AntiVir does support UPX and other runtime packers. UPX is almost the basic widely used EXE packer anyway. And judging by scores that i see,AntiVir is far ahead of avast! at the moment.

FastGame

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2005, 04:14:59 PM »
I agree with RejZoR

Avast! is on a good roll, no need to put the brakes on. Every little bit helps and the lack of updates will only hurt.

Don't give the parrots a reason to start squawking........

toadbee

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2005, 04:36:05 PM »
And AntiVir does support UPX and other runtime packers. UPX is almost the basic widely used EXE packer anyway. And judging by scores that i see,AntiVir is far ahead of avast! at the moment.

Now if thats true I need some info on that but I can't find any?
I realize they include signatures for packed nasties - but I don't believe they can unpack exe packed files.
If that is still the case - and "virusx" is exe packed 10 different ways - then they need 10 signatures whereas an AV with exe upackers needs one, i.e. less sigs, less updates. thats all.

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2005, 04:42:09 PM »
Trust me,AntiVir does support runtime packers. Antivirus without packers support wouldn't last long in these days.

Omar

« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2005, 05:22:03 PM »
I just mentioned if AntiVir can release daily updates with such big definitions size why avast! couldn't with defs just few KBs in size?

what scores do you mean? Does that mean avast isn`t as good as antivir? Does antivir have automatic updates?

Offline raman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2005, 05:47:40 PM »
Sorry to say that, but Antivir does not support UPX/FSG at the moment( Maybe in some weeks), but Avast(windowsversion, not Linux) support UPX and some other runtimepackers.

On the other hand, it may take some weeks but than Antivir will have smaller updates.;)

I do not know what kind of Malware RejZoR send to Alwill, but maybe it is not  necessary to add it asap, in Avasts point of view.
MfG Ralf

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2005, 06:08:13 PM »
Than it's even worse if AntiVir without UPX support can pick more stuff than avast! which supports UPX ::)

Offline raman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2005, 06:20:47 PM »
Can you give me a link to the test you relate to? I know that Antivir add i thing 30-40.000 samples with the last engine update. But Nod32, Trend and Norton did the same in the last weeks.
MfG Ralf