Author Topic: Avast is not protecting my computer  (Read 15287 times)

streim

Re: Avast is not protecting my computer
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2012, 10:01:11 PM »
Forum message error: message exceeds the max allowed characters, so I am sending at as attachment since I saved it results to my desktop.

streim

« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2012, 10:13:38 PM »
How do I post a copy if the forum won't allow me because it has over 10,000 characters.  I tried doing it as an attachment and that didn't seem to work?

streim

« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2012, 10:25:45 PM »
This is beginning to drive me crazy.  As I am awaiting your reply... I checked my networks again and now my PC is exchanging info with Bar-Ilan University Network in Haifi Israel

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2012, 10:27:32 PM »
if not to big  (like OTL that will be 10 posts with copy and paste)  then split on two and post
or.... attach 

streim

« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2012, 10:31:30 PM »
I did attach earlier I will try again.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2012, 10:38:26 PM by streim »

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2012, 10:58:39 PM »
Does this occur when the browser is open or at any time at all ?

streim

« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2012, 11:02:38 PM »
I am not really sure.  Most often all my work is done online.  But I'll close my browser for about 5 minutes and then report back.  Thanks again.
BBL

streim

« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2012, 11:20:23 PM »
It's is doing it the minute I boot up and am connected to the internet, without browser being opened.  Crazy stuff huh??
When I started writing to you today, I had around 520 network connections that went through the shield, right now the number is over 1300.
What is happening?  Doing it right now as well, plus I am running Firefox sand boxed!

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2012, 11:28:34 PM »
Two possibilities here, one is that your router has been infected and the second is the MBR

First could you reset your router.. There should be a small hole at the back marked reset.
Insert a biro or pin press the button inside to reset it

Download the latest version of TDSSKiller from here and save it to your Desktop.

• Doubleclick on TDSSKiller.exe to run the application

• Then click on Change parameters.

• Check the boxes beside Verify Driver Digital Signature and Detect TDLFS file system, then click OK.

• Click the Start Scan button.

• If a suspicious object is detected, the default action will be Skip, click on Continue.

• If malicious objects are found, they will show in the Scan results and offer three (3) options.
  • Ensure Cure is selected, then click Continue => Reboot now to finish the cleaning process.

• Get the report by selecting Reports

• Note: If Cure is not available, please choose Skip instead, do not choose Delete unless instructed.
Please copy and paste its contents on your next reply.

Nesivos

« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2012, 11:56:26 PM »
Two possibilities here, one is that your router has been infected and the second is the MBR

First could you reset your router.. There should be a small hole at the back marked reset.

Interesting thread.

Just wanted to add  Don't forget that resetting the router will change the password back to the default.   If the default password had been previously changed and there are any wireless devices running through the router their passwords will have to be reset.   At least that is what happens with my router :)

streim

« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2012, 03:29:23 AM »

Interesting thread.

Just wanted to add  Don't forget that resetting the router will change the password back to the default.   If the default password had been previously changed and there are any wireless devices running through the router their passwords will have to be reset.   At least that is what happens with my router :)

Thanks.  I have no wireless devices, but I did have to spend some time on the phone explaining my situation after I reset the router to re configure it. 

streim

« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2012, 03:56:56 AM »
Did a full reset on my modem.  Ran the tdsskiller, but I am unable to copy/paste it.  It also is a dat file so I can't attach it.  It did find 8 suspicious items, several of which I am familiar with because they are unsigned components that were installed when my system was custom built for me in 2010. 
Now what??  Is there a way to convert the dat file into something you are able to read, or is it possible to send a link by using Speccy?

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #27 on: December 14, 2012, 10:43:51 AM »
Could you just copy and past the last 10 lines where it shows MBR data and unsigned files

streim

« Reply #28 on: December 14, 2012, 11:50:03 PM »
It will not allow me to copy and paste ANY of the report file.  Not sure what to do here... but my hair is getting grayer by the minute and I'm very unhappy with Avast.  The day this all started was when I renewed my paid version....

Offline Gordon1954

« Reply #29 on: December 15, 2012, 06:09:15 AM »
I have Internet Security 7 and when I boot my PC a Windows 7 machine Avast tells me the system is unprotected and when I start Avast it shows the firewall not working. After about 5 to 10 Mins it starts and says the system is fully protected. I don't understand why. Has anyone else experienced this?