Author Topic: ashserv.exe eat memory  (Read 11981 times)

loreley

Re:ashserv.exe eat memory
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2004, 11:32:07 AM »
Grunger, how to check the ram usage in windows???

John-

« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2004, 03:02:17 PM »
well normally using Windows 2000-XP machines => CTRL-ALT-DEL gives you the taskmanager,....under Windows 95/98

It has been 3 years since I worked with Win9x machines,...do not remember how to get taskmanager,....don't know if it exists in Win9x,....
Maybe you can find info on google,...

Yes I know, I have lots of processes running,...I was @ work at the time I took the screenshot,...and with 2 GB of ram I do not feel any conficts  ;)

A good thing though when you want to free up ram memory,...
And I have been working for 6 years with the same machine before I got this one, so I know what I am talking about.

- If you use wallpapers, look at the filesize: 1 MB for a wallpaper is in my eyes overkill
- Uninstall unnessesary appz you hardly use or have no function at all
- Try to limit the appz in the systray
- Defrag your harddrive once in a while
- do not use themes for win9x themes,...sounds silly, but had bad experience with those,... (funny,..as a graphical designer I like my interfaces pale and simple,...except when I work under MacOS X)

« Last Edit: January 23, 2016, 10:13:41 AM by EverlastingGaze »

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2004, 03:42:06 PM »
No it doesn't. You have to press CTRL+ALT+DEL command twice to restart machine. If you use it only once you'll get Task Manager. But its very limited,so you won't be able to check memory usage.
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2004, 07:12:45 PM »
Task Manager. But its very limited,so you won't be able to check memory usage.

To see memory usage, use http://sysinternals.com/files/procexpnt.zip
It's designed for Windows XP but works either (and fine) with 98 and Me.
The best things in life are free.

bwhite259

« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2005, 04:22:33 PM »
I understand your message.  I have noticed that when I scan with the standard scan or thorough scan it starts eating virtual memory like crazy, 1.3GB or more.  Mine will not even finish scanning.  It just stops and the program ends abruptly.  It did not eat memory or quit when I did a quick scan though.  I even went as so far to make a separate partition totally dedicated to the window pagefile.  This is set to 2.3GB.  I also left a 100MB pagefile on the C:\.  It still cannot finish a standard scan.  I think I will email avast about the issue.
Running Windows XP SP2, Athalon-M 1600+, 648MB RAM.

Offline MWassef

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
Re: ashserv.exe eat memory
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2005, 08:56:22 PM »
according to memeload ashserv.exe uses only 7.2 mb  ::)
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=8606.0
MW

eric

« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2005, 11:13:12 AM »
I have the same problem. I am using Avast Home Edition with Windows XP Home Version SP1. I downloaded a 700MB file with P2P and my ashServ.exe used 160MB RAM memory!! My computer became very slow (my computer has only 256MB RAM) and I was forced to stop the On-Access scanner to solve the problem.

The 700MB file is an self-extracting zipfile. I don't understand why ashServ.exe needs so much memory to scan a big file.

After a windows reboot, ashServ.exe doesn't use a lot of memory. But when he is scanning a big file he will use 160MB RAM!! How can I made ashServ.exe to use lesser RAM when scanning big files?
« Last Edit: February 10, 2005, 11:34:50 AM by eric »

taco78

« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2005, 07:18:19 PM »
The 700MB file is an self-extracting zipfile. I don't understand why ashServ.exe needs so much memory to scan a big file.

Do you have standard shield on high?
At me it never increases.

At me it uses 13 MB, total avast uses 18MB :)
It never increases with me.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2005, 07:42:40 PM by taco78 »

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2005, 11:33:14 PM »
eric, there's "using", as Memory Usage in the Task Manager, and "using" as VM Size. Which one are you referring to?
avast! uses (virtual) memory to unpack archive files if enough free memory is available - that's why the memory is there, right?

Anyway, we have to start talking about particular archives, knowing the exact content. The behavior may be different according to the type/content of the archives, so it's really hard to say more just "in general".

eric

« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2005, 09:26:54 PM »
Ashserv.exe uses 160MB Memory usage in the Task Manager with big files.

Standard Shield is on "custom".

When ashserv.exe doesn't scan any files it uses 15MB Memory usage in Task Manager.