Author Topic: New computer  (Read 1588 times)

Askelr

New computer
« on: December 25, 2012, 01:07:22 PM »
I renewed my avast internet security a couple of weeks ago, and now I got a new computer for christmas. Is there any way to get my old avast to my new computer without having to buy a new one? Thanks and merry christmas to you all!

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: New computer
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2012, 01:29:51 PM »
Yes, you should have saved the avast license file, license.avastlic, copy that to a USB stick and use that for the new system.

Uninstall the copy on the old system, that way you only have the 1 installation.

If you didn't save the license file - Resend avast License http://www.avast.com/resend-license-paid.php, you will need to enter the email that you used when purchasing the license, e.g. the one that the original email with the link was sent.

A Merry Christmas to you too.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Online CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
Re: New computer
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2012, 01:32:21 PM »
Uninstall avast from the old computer first, then download and save the latest avast to you new computer ( don't install yet ).
Proceed to uninstall any pre-installed AV that has come with the new computer then finish up with running one of the removal tools from here http://singularlabs.com/uninstallers/security-software/ to remove leftovers, once that is completed you can install the downloaded avast from earlier and insert your license in the same manner you did previously from your email.

Sorry didn't notice you had posted first David :) there's some extra information here anyway for removing preinstalled AV.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2012, 01:35:02 PM by craigb »