Author Topic: How to scan when booting W7 PC?  (Read 4813 times)

melissajkelly

How to scan when booting W7 PC?
« on: December 22, 2012, 03:51:15 PM »
Two days ago I watched a video online that apparently had a v i r  us in it. My Avast didn't go off when I viewed it, but a friend who viewed it on her work PC 5 minutes later got the v i r us.  I ran Avast to see if my system was clean, and it found several threats that I moved into the chest.  When that was done, it asked whether I wanted to run the program while the PC was booting.  I said yes and went to work.

When I came home 9 hours later I had a DOS screen that looked like nothing was happening so I hit the ESC key.  That's when I figured out it must have still been running.  :(  It said it found one threat but there was no other info on what it was or how to get rid of it.

So...I want to re-run Avast Antivirus during boot but can't find where/how to do that.  Can someone tell me what to do?  (I'm on Windows 7 64-bit.)

Thanks!

Offline DJBone

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
Re: How to scan when booting W7 PC?
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2012, 04:00:26 PM »
Hello and welcome to the forum! :)

Open avast --> Scan Computer --> Boot-time Scan --> Schedule now. In the settings you can adjust the scan options before scheduling it.

DJBone
Win10 x64, APS (always latest version)
Avast Mobile Security (always latest version)

melissajkelly

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2012, 04:52:02 PM »
Thanks for the quick reply.  I don't have that option.  I have:

Quick Scan
Full System Scan
Removable Media Scan
Select Folder to Scan (it doesn't appear that I can select boot in there anywhere)

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Melissa

jayt

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2012, 06:24:20 PM »
Open Avast.In the left hand column click on scan computer. you should see an option to scan now,underneath that is the option for boot time scanThen follow DJBone's directions.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2012, 06:27:39 PM by jayt »

melissajkelly

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2012, 07:08:52 PM »
Thanks.  Now I see it.

I have a huge hard drive so I know it's going to take a while to run (since last time it wasn't done in 9 hours)...so I wanted to ask a question before running the boot scan.  Will Avast fix/quarantine anything it finds there?  (It looked different being in more of a "DOS screen" last time; and it didn't fix the one threat that was found when I aborted it.)

Thanks,
Melissa

Offline DJBone

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2012, 07:38:15 PM »
In the settings you can adjust the scan options before scheduling it.

DJBone

melissajkelly

« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2012, 03:57:51 AM »
Thanks.  I have run the scan numerous times.  I keep getting "virus found" in the boot scan.  On several scans I selected "move to chest"---when I check my log it doesn't say that a file was moved to the chest.  The second-to-the-last time I ran the boot scan I requested that it "delete" the file.  Yet when I ran it again, it still says virus found.  :(

Please see attached screen capture.

What do I do?  Thanks, in advance, for your help.

Offline DJBone

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2012, 08:03:53 AM »
Could you please post a screenshot of the last Scan Log?

DJBone

PS: Never choose delete as option for possible malware because it could be a false poritive. Choose move to chest.

melissajkelly

« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2012, 04:15:27 PM »
I ran the full computer scan again last night. This time there were some files that couldn't be scanned (because it said they were password projected); but I didn't get a virus message this time.  Maybe choosing "delete" last time (on an ancient archived e-mail file) did the trick.

Attached is that screen shot.

I will run the "boot scan" again today while we're gone;  hopefully it will come back clean now.

I chose "delete" because I located the file it was saying was a virus and determined I didn't need it.  I knew there was a risk it would tag something else that I needed...but figured the odds were with me that it wouldn't since I had already run the scan so many times this week.

Thanks!

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2012, 01:09:07 AM »
Double click on a specific scan result/log. Then post the screen shot. It should look something like my screenshot only with actual virus/malware.  :)
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

melissajkelly

« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2012, 02:16:50 PM »
Thanks--didn't realize they were clickable!!!  LOL  Attached.

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2012, 07:20:48 PM »
I think it's time to call in a malware expert. Be patient one will be with you shortly.  :)
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

melissajkelly

« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2012, 11:20:46 PM »
The file in question was an old e-mail archive file.  It has now been deleted from the PC.

Still need the Malware expert?

Offline DJBone

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2012, 11:25:59 PM »
Still need the Malware expert?
If you want to be sure? Yes. Follow this instructions and attach the logs in your next post: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=53253.0
A malware expert will help you if needed.

DJBone