Author Topic: Windows Command Prompt (CMD)  (Read 8807 times)

stephogs

Windows Command Prompt (CMD)
« on: January 06, 2013, 06:56:09 PM »
Hello Avast Community,

I think it valuable for Avast or this community to post a sticky thread with all the (Useful) windows CMD commands.  XP, Vista, 7 and 8 windows versions would reach a mulitude of subscribers.  In some scenarios avast is being used specifically to combat pesky computer problems, malware, and ID10T errors (lol).  I myself love avast and use it in many ways.  Currently, I am harnessing this utility to help diagnose a friends PC.  As my standard process, I always run a boot-time scan.  Long story short, I need to run the boot-time scan from the CMD in the recovery console.  I could not find the correct commands/attributes to run this type of scan.  I specifically need the command to run the boot-time scan and would also like to see other useful commands added to a sticky.

Thanks in advance for any help and the consideration of a Command Prompt sticky thread,

A Faithful Avast User

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • When you think you know, Think Again
Re: Windows Command Prompt (CMD)
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2013, 07:03:19 PM »
Hello Avast Community,

I think it valuable for Avast or this community to post a sticky thread with all the (Useful) windows CMD commands.  XP, Vista, 7 and 8 windows versions would reach a mulitude of subscribers.  In some scenarios avast is being used specifically to combat pesky computer problems, malware, and ID10T errors (lol).  I myself love avast and use it in many ways.  Currently, I am harnessing this utility to help diagnose a friends PC.  As my standard process, I always run a boot-time scan.  Long story short, I need to run the boot-time scan from the CMD in the recovery console.  I could not find the correct commands/attributes to run this type of scan.  I specifically need the command to run the boot-time scan and would also like to see other useful commands added to a sticky.

Thanks in advance for any help and the consideration of a Command Prompt sticky thread,

A Faithful Avast User

Don't know if this will help. Googled and found: http://pcsupport.about.com/od/commandlinereference/tp/command-prompt-commands-p1.htm
Not sure of 'avast specific' cmd prompts. 8)

stephogs

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2013, 07:52:52 PM »
Hello schmidthouse,

Thank you for your reply.  That site is helpful.  I may have worded my question wrong.  I need the directory paths and executable names for the scans as they appear in CMD in Win7.  Not sure if paths and names differ among Win OS versions.  Specifically, the CMD boot-time scan path and executable name in Win7.

Thanks,

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes

stephogs

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2013, 09:58:50 PM »
Hello essexboy,

Thank you for your reply.  This KB is exactly what I was looking for specifically.  KUDOS! ;D  However, they may be more of a problem with this machine than anticipated.  After executing the command >sched.exe /A:* for all drives and also >sched.exe /D:* for the specific drive, I receive "The subsystem needed to support the image type is not present." in CMD.  I am not familiar with this response.  Any ideas ???

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2013, 10:46:22 PM »
What OS is this related to and what bit is it (32, 64)

stephogs

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2013, 11:28:07 PM »
Windows 7 64bit

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2013, 04:25:02 PM »
You will need to launch the 32 bit command window
There is both a 32bit and 64bit version of the command processor (cmd.exe) and the same applies to some of the other core system components, such as the registry editor (regedit.exe).

Which one you use depends on how you start the command processor. If you start the command processor in any of the normal ways, such as typing cmd.exe in the Run dialog, typing cmd.exe in the Start/Search box, etc, then you will be using the 64bit version.

To start the 32bit version of the command processor, you need to specify the path. For instance from the Run Dialog, type C:\Windows\sysWOW64\cmd.exe or the same path in the Start/Search box.

If you use the command processor often, it's a good idea to customize the 32bit version which makes it easier to see which one is running. I changed the background color of the 32bit version to a medium blue. This way there is no mistaking which one I am using.

It's also important to note that every command you use in either version will target the same version of any system files that are involved with that command. For instance if you type regedit.exe in either version, you will get the same bit version of the registry editor.

Hope this helps.