Author Topic: Avast not stopping trojans  (Read 3148 times)

vht

Avast not stopping trojans
« on: February 22, 2005, 09:18:11 AM »
Since installing Avast almost a year ago, I've gotten infected with 4 trojans and each time Avast notified me immediatly of the infection but it didnt stop it from infecting my computer.  I may not know much about anti virus software, but isn't the point to not only notify me of the trojan, but to also stop it from getting on my computer? ???

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
Re: Avast not stopping trojans
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2005, 09:38:25 AM »
Were they stopped really immediately? I mean, haven't they been added to the database later, and then an alarm was triggered?

Also, some Trojans infect via buffer overruns (typically while browsing in IE) - and before the advent of WebShield, avast had not chance to stop these before they got activated (simply because all avast on-access scans were based on disk files - but the Trojan infected (exploirted) directly IE...).

BTW which Trojans are we talking about, exactly?

Thanks
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

vht

Re: Avast not stopping trojans
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2005, 09:55:29 AM »
Were they stopped really immediately? I mean, haven't they been added to the database later, and then an alarm was triggered?

The alarm was triggered as soon as i was infected.  As soon as I opened an EXE or jpg image I got the alarm going off.

Also, some Trojans infect via buffer overruns (typically while browsing in IE) - and before the advent of WebShield, avast had not chance to stop these before they got activated (simply because all avast on-access scans were based on disk files - but the Trojan infected (exploirted) directly IE...).

BTW which Trojans are we talking about, exactly?

Thanks
Vlk

Win32:Trojano-246 & 247
JS:exploit-bytverify-7 & 8
JS:gummy
Win32:Trojano-281
Win32:Mhtplo-8

The first 2 I got from an exe file.  I cant remember where I got the 3rd.  The 281 trojan i got from a jpeg image on a webpage.

I also always use firefox.