Author Topic: Avast 7 = Great BIG resource HOG!!!  (Read 11201 times)

A Avast User

Avast 7 = Great BIG resource HOG!!!
« on: January 24, 2013, 09:28:47 PM »
>:(  Avast 7 is just a Great BIG resource HOG!!! It's just NOT worth putting up with Avast induced computer freezes any more>:( (I'm talking a brand new version of Avast 7 on a fresh, clean install of Windows, here. This post is the very first time this installation of Windows has been put on the internet. Before Avast was installed on this installation, it was blazing FAST!)

:(  Therefore, I will be rolling back to Avast 6 until it is no longer supported. ...or until the coders at Avast get their heads out of their ^woo-vhoos and get rid of the bloat in what WAS a great AV!  :(

8)  I've been a user of Avast for close to a decade, now. During that time I have recommended Avast to the MANY people I know and have gone so far as installing and configuring it on their computers when some of them have messed them up and asked me to straighten them out. (Friends don't let friends use Norton! .... or, worse yet, nothing at all!) A few of these people whose computers I've installed Avast on have even BOUGHT it!!! I've also recommended Avast on way too many message boards and forums to count.   8)

:-\  However, unless Avast STOPS being such a Great BIG resource HOG, I will be forced into NOT recommending it to ANYONE, ANYWHERE!  I will, furthermore, be forced into looking into another option.  :-\  >:(

For those of you who have had Avast 7 render your computer unusable such as I have and want to roll back to Avast 6 you can get 6 at OldAPPS.com. Just scroll down this page:  http://www.oldapps.com/avast_antivirus.php

If enough of us do this [or just stop using Avast altogether], then, just maybe, the coders at Avast will get the CLUE! ;)

Ddm5

Re: Avast 7 = Great BIG resource HOG!!!
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2013, 09:34:28 PM »
>:(  Avast 7 is just a Great BIG resource HOG!!! It's just NOT worth putting up with Avast induced computer freezes any more>:( (I'm talking a brand new version of Avast 7 on a fresh, clean install of Windows, here. This post is the very first time this installation of Windows has been put on the internet. Before Avast was installed on this installation, it was blazing FAST!)

:(  Therefore, I will be rolling back to Avast 6 until it is no longer supported. ...or until the coders at Avast get their heads out of their ^woo-vhoos and get rid of the bloat in what WAS a great AV!  :(

8)  I've been a user of Avast for close to a decade, now. During that time I have recommended Avast to the MANY people I know and have gone so far as installing and configuring it on their computers when some of them have messed them up and asked me to straighten them out. (Friends don't let friends use Norton! .... or, worse yet, nothing at all!) A few of these people whose computers I've installed Avast on have even BOUGHT it!!! I've also recommended Avast on way too many message boards and forums to count.   8)

:-\  However, unless Avast STOPS being such a Great BIG resource HOG, I will be forced into NOT recommending it to ANYONE, ANYWHERE!  I will, furthermore, be forced into looking into another option.  :-\  >:(

For those of you who have had Avast 7 render your computer unusable such as I have and want to roll back to Avast 6 you can get 6 at OldAPPS.com. Just scroll down this page:  http://www.oldapps.com/avast_antivirus.php

If enough of us do this [or just stop using Avast altogether], then, just maybe, the coders at Avast will get the CLUE! ;)
All them fancy letters and bold points!, Avast isn't a resource Hog what so ever, what are your system specs?
« Last Edit: January 24, 2013, 09:36:24 PM by Ddm5 »

webber

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2013, 09:39:49 PM »
This is not true at all according to http://www.av-test.org/en/tests/test-reports/  it is one of the lightest virus-scanners.
I have never experienced any slow down while using Avast.

Please use normal font sizes it looks as if you are screaming.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2013, 10:33:48 PM »
That certainly hasn't been my experience on both XP Pro and win7 systems.

If you want to try and pin down the problem we will try and help ?

If you just want to have a rant, then I guess you have achieved that now.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

A Avast User

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2013, 01:02:18 AM »
First, I've had slowdowns caused by Avast AV on every single computer that I've installed it on ranging from older computers running XP all the way up to brand new Win 7 computers. These slowdowns have obviously ranged from extremely severe all the way up to just somewhat noticeable. Therefore, system specs - while they have SOMETHING to do with the problem - are much less an issue than the code they are attempting to run.

Second, hey, I got your attention, didn't I? ??? In addition, I suppose there are those who LIKE to go BLIND trying to read what's on the screen?  ???

Third, as I uninstalled Avast 7 it took the NTLDR off of the machine I was working on right along with it. >:(  I had no choice but to F10 the thing.....AGAIN!!!!.... because System Restore didn't do the trick to fix it.

I've never had Avast do that before...EVER!!!!! 

I've only spent the last three days decrapifying that fresh, clean installation of Windows of all the crapware that HP thinks people want clogging their machines and then installing most of the software with what I actually do want on it with the exception of a couple of games and LibreOffice. So I'm back to square one again. :'( :'( :'(

If it weren't for the OLD computer that I'm on right now, I would be completely S.O.L.
:'( And y'all just have no way of know just OUT OF LUCK I am withOUT this kind of shtuff going on!!!!! :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

Offline Simion

• Advanced Poster
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2013, 02:30:13 AM »
Shouting and a bad attitude are the fastest ways to lose assistance from the volunteer helpers here, and any other forum. :o

Offline Charyb-0

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2013, 04:48:42 AM »
Have you checked task manager to see what is using up your resources?

Avast 7 was first released on Feb. 23, 2012. This was eleven months ago.

If it is the resource hog that you say it is there would be many more users with a problem identical to yours.

What puzzles me is that this is your first post in over 1.5 years and is a rant with no signs that you intend on receiving any help from anyone.

Suddenly, even though Avast 7 was released 11 months ago, it has recently become this big resource hog for you?

snip> I've been a user of Avast for close to a decade, now. During that time I have recommended Avast to the MANY people I know and have gone so far as installing and configuring it on their computers when some of them have messed them up and asked me to straighten them out. (Friends don't let friends use Norton! .... or, worse yet, nothing at all!) A few of these people whose computers I've installed Avast on have even BOUGHT it!!! I've also recommended Avast on way too many message boards and forums to count. <snip
You make no mention that your friends also consider avast a resource hog. Must not have been considering they purchased it.

snip> First, I've had slowdowns caused by Avast AV on every single computer that I've installed it on ranging from older computers running XP all the way up to brand new Win 7 computers. These slowdowns have obviously ranged from extremely severe all the way up to just somewhat noticeable. Therefore, system specs - while they have SOMETHING to do with the problem - are much less an issue than the code they are attempting to run. <snip
You recommend avast to your friends even though you have had slowdowns caused by avast on every computer you have installed it on. How can you recommend this to your friends if it is so problematic?
« Last Edit: January 25, 2013, 10:01:28 AM by Charyb »

AdrianH

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2013, 06:20:41 AM »
Bullcrap from start to finish.

I have installed avast7 on too many systems to count now.  Your "problem" simply does not exist anywhere but on YOUR system.

Third, as I uninstalled Avast 7 it took the NTLDR off of the machine I was working on right along with it.   I had no choice but to F10 the thing.....AGAIN!!!!.... because System Restore didn't do the trick to fix it.

Same again, bullcrap .............. huge error between keyboard and chair.

bobo1

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2013, 03:01:23 PM »
A AVAST USER. Load of rubbish. Avast 7 runs great on my basic computer. Bet your version of windows xp is a cracked version riddled with spyware!
« Last Edit: January 25, 2013, 03:06:58 PM by bobo1 »

websave

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2013, 03:29:57 PM »
Shouting and a bad attitude are the fastest ways to lose assistance from the volunteer helpers here, and any other forum. :o

I agree but I can understand why he is frustrated. I had the same problem and felt like I had to face desk just to stay calm. Just kidding. But it was difficult to stay calm. I had hope though.  :)

iroc9555

« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2013, 03:42:32 PM »

I agree but I can understand why he is frustrated. I had the same problem and felt like I had to face desk just to stay calm. Just kidding. But it was difficult to stay calm. I had hope though.  :)

Did you solve it ? what was it ?

2 AVs ? Comp infected ? Incompatability with some other program ? Bad, dirty install ?

GoTwisty

« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2013, 04:01:43 PM »
I'm here searching the forum because I've had the same problem on two different PCs -- one Vista, one Windows 7. Avast! is a resource hog, in my experience, and I'm getting pretty desperate to tame it. Otherwise, I'll have to uninstall or downgrade or whatever, and I'd rather be using time I don't have anyway to fix things I didn't spend good money to buy because I thought they would be a good thing.

So I was glad to see this thread and started looking for helpful responses, but I'm pretty much just seeing denials that this is a problem. Well, it is a problem. I open Task Manager or Process Monitor all the time and see Avast! as the third- or fourth-biggest user of resources on this PC, and I frequently have to shut it down (as much as the program will let me without my having to go to excessive and time-consuming, service-killing lengths) just so I can do what I'm trying to do and avoid slowdowns or freezes.

Guess I'll look elsewhere for help with this, but not for very long. I'm tired of having to deal with it ... don't think I should have to sacrifice so much of my computer to keep it secure.

P.S. I got this message when I previewed this post:  Warning - while you were typing 2 new replies have been posted. You may wish to review your post. OK; hope they help. But I'm not going to review my post. I've lost too much time due to this problem already. Moving along ... 8)

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2013, 04:08:17 PM »
Hi it may be a problem, but to determine where it lies we will need some info..The initial poster has the appearance of a rant which is not conducive to getting help

First did you do an inplace upgrade from V6 to V7 or is this a fresh V7 install

Could you screenshot the task manager to see which part of Avast is using the RAM 

websave

« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2013, 05:10:18 PM »

Did you solve it ? what was it ?

2 AVs ? Comp infected ? Incompatability with some other program ? Bad, dirty install ?

It was COMODO and avast! not getting along.

iroc9555

« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2013, 05:20:32 PM »
It was COMODO and avast! not getting along.

Thanks. Most of the time there is a plausible reason. Your case was some sort of incompatibility. Others could be a dirty install like an upgrade, and so on. That is why Essexboy asks for more info in order to troubleshoot the problem.