Author Topic: antitheft after factory reset  (Read 11532 times)

chaosengine

antitheft after factory reset
« on: January 30, 2013, 09:44:17 AM »
Hi,
Firstly Id like to say thank u for providing such an awesome app for free! - i subscribe to avast for pc and love ur products.

i have just installed avast anti theft to my Rooted Htc Sensation.

Control from ther website works perfect. I tested the remote Wipe and it worked first time.

I setup hard reset protection, Store settings, Direct Write Method AND recovery image method

After the restart, avast anti theft is still installed like it should be , but the Settings are lost. So accessing Avast anth theift to track the mobile or lock it after a factory reset does not work as I needed to re-input my account username and password (which a thieft obv. would not no or do lol)

What did I do wrong guys? I thought Avast would survive a factory reset including its settings?

many thanks for ur support

reinhardholzner

Re: antitheft after factory reset
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2013, 02:25:31 PM »
this is related to HTC's fast boot event (manufacturer specific). the next anti-theft update will have a fix for that.

andr3z

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2013, 06:20:33 PM »
got same problem on samsung galaxy Y s5360 (rooted), after hard reset (using 3 keys Home,VolUp and PowerUp) , avast anti theft  survives but not with his settings . If i login into my google account the setting are back . There is any solution to this problem?
In my situation i am using a model for loking screen or a password (prevent unautorized access) . If a thief gets hand on my phone it has no option , only the reset can bypass my lock screen and will do so leaving avast anti theft without settings . My chances to get back the phone are gone in this case .
Hope you understand, thanks.

reinhardholzner

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2013, 01:40:39 PM »
but you stored settings hard-reset-proof before?!

black8900

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2013, 01:07:40 PM »
Hello,

i got a Samsung Galaxy Beam I8530 and got exactly the same problem.

I install Antitheft rootet and check it via the settings. Afterwards I perform a factory wipe holding the Volume+Power+Home button. My phone wipes itself. I still can see Antitheft in the /system/ + in the Application List with its given hidden Name. So its running BUT no settings are stored. Means I can NOT connect to the device via Web User Interface.

The really problem is that Antitheft states that its installed correctly in HARD RESET and the users are trusting that this mechanism works. My phone was stolen and, obviously, because of this issue I can not connect to it.

1.) Hopefully anybody can help me because without this feature its not so useful?

2.) Where are the settings stored in antitheft so they survive a wipe (username / password for the avira webpage etc.)? The application is in /system/

Regards Blacki
« Last Edit: May 29, 2013, 02:18:29 PM by black8900 »

black8900

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2013, 02:56:22 PM »
UPDATE:

As chaosengine already mentioned if I do this i can access the device again:

1.) AVAST ANTITHEFT as root installed, afte WIPE -> NO ACCESS
2.) Log In to Gogle Account On device, Afterwards Reboot Device -> ACCESS

So it is connected with the google account somehow? Unfortunately a thief won't access my account :P. I can check if its general connected with a google account or my specific one. Anyway, even without google account Antitheft should have access to the device?

Regards blacki

reinhardholzner

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2013, 06:28:31 PM »
hm thats strange. which android version do you have?

black8900

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2013, 06:43:29 PM »
I agree this is strange. Got 2.3.6 Gingerbread. Until now there is no higher version for this phone.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2013, 06:45:43 PM by black8900 »

reinhardholzner

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2013, 12:47:02 PM »
OK so what is the issue? The settings on the phone are gone OR settings in your client are there, but you just can not connect from web interface?

andr3z

« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2013, 09:48:36 AM »
OK so what is the issue? The settings on the phone are gone OR settings in your client are there, but you just can not connect from web interface?
Avast Anti theft app is still there after hard reset , but the settings are no more and application is accesible form menu , is no more hidden . Widouth setings is obvious that web user interface is not working and useless.

reinhardholzner

« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2013, 11:36:50 AM »
but what happens if you reboot a second time? same?

REDACTED

« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2014, 01:29:36 PM »
Avast Anti theft app is still there after hard reset , but the settings are no more and application is accesible form menu , is no more hidden . Widouth setings is obvious that web user interface is not working and useless.

Did you store the SETTINGS in the root and then check that they were properly stored??? It sure sounds like you did not do so!

REDACTED

« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2015, 03:29:31 AM »
Здравствуйте. У меня такая проблема.  Установил Anti-Theft.  Внес изменения с рутовыми в файл восстановления.  Восстановил настройки телефона к заводским параметрам. Anti-Theft Присутствует в системе. Но в (настройках - безопасность-администраторы устройства) для Anti-Theft нет галочки. Получается что после жесткого сброса к заводским параметрам, Anti-Theft оказывается бесполезным. 
Помогите мне пожалуйста.